John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump

/ John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump #1  

donpalmer57

Tractor
John Deere 5220
Got recently a used 2003 John Deere 5220 Tractor, I have since found out someone has bypassed the fuel filter, not sure for how long, I now have the motor running out of power when loaded up, I first thought it was a blocked filter, but like I said it has been bypassed, is there another small inline filter at the injector pump like some other diesel motors.
I have already ordered a new filter & can reroute the fuel lines back to normal, but I understand this won't fix my now problem.
Any suggestions to my lack of power ( I think it is a fuel problem, maybe now at the injector pump)
Thank you in advance for any help please.

/ John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump #2  
There is a reason (while not a good one) they bypassed the fuel filter. I am guessing they had the problem you are having or could not get it to bleed. On installing the new filter fill the tank up and fill the filter before putting it on. I do this on 5210 and never have to bleed it. Sometimes the hand pump needs to be taken apart and cleaned and maybe the reason if it does not bleed.

I would check for the condition of the fuel lines. You may not see a crack but it maybe sucking air.

Looking at JDparts, there is a fuel strainer part number RE220719 back by the fuel tank.

This video maybe of value same engine as yours. I do not know if things are different where you live. Here there is no filter on the fuel pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEDJiIdzcA

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump
Does the Injector pump have a small filter like most within the entry fuel line at the Injector Pump.

/ John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump #4  
Looking at JDparts it shows no filter internal to the injection pump and having looked at a few of cutaways of my pump, I have not seen one.

/ John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump #5  
Most tractors have a screen on the fuel shut off threaded into the fuel tank. To check/clean you must first drain the tank then unthread the shut off and inspect.

Chris

/ John Deere 5220 fuel injector pump
Still having trouble, I think now it is the inline electrical fuel pump, located midway underneath bolted to the Gearbox, but I can' find it in the parts catalogue, can you tell me is this standard & where it is in the parts catalogue, or do you think someone has retro fitted a electric fuel pump.
I put a new filter & housing & re plumbed all with new rubber fuel lines,, the filter had no hand pump so i put an inline rubber squeeze type ( the type you see on a small boat portable red fuel tank)( just a bit bigger Heavy duty) and when the motor runs after priming it, it only runs for about 5 minutes the I see the hand pump all sucked in. so I think it is the electric fuel pump not delivering enough fuel, ( I can hear it ticking & it is pumping but not with a real amount of pressure.
What do you think
When I replaced the fuel hoses the fuel flowed through very well, so I am sure the tank filter is still clean.