Correct oil for 1023e front axel

/ Correct oil for 1023e front axel #1  

jcealarm

Tractor
John Deere 1023e
What is the correct oil for the front axel on my John Deere 1023e? Can't find it anywhere.

/ Correct oil for 1023e front axel #2  
I use just 90w gear oil since a front axle on a 4wd tractor is really just a truck rear end turned backwards. That and 90w gear oil is what my owners manual specifies. Oh and :welcome: to the forum.

/ Correct oil for 1023e front axel #3  
What ever is in the trasmission is in the front diff. You wont have an issue running it in both. Will be JD hyguard,or Low vis hyguard.

/ Correct oil for 1023e front axel #4  
My Branson specs the same oil as is used in the rest of the tractor except for engine oil. Branson is made by Kukji in S. Korea and if you do a google search, you will find numerous green tractors coming off that assy line also, along with some other badges! TSC Premium hyd/tranny/wet brake/etc. fluid, the orange stuff, is rated for current tractors.

/ Correct oil for 1023e front axel #5  
I never checked what the owner's manual said for my 1025R, but both my 4010 and 2025R take 80/90w in the front MFWD gearbox. I'd be very surprised if the 1023E is any different. I would not use Hygrade. It's either 5w (low vis) or 10w (high vis), WAY different from 80/90w.

Ralph

/ Correct oil for 1023e front axel #6  
I never checked what the owner's manual said for my 1025R, but both my 4010 and 2025R take 80/90w in the front MFWD gearbox. I'd be very surprised if the 1023E is any different. I would not use Hygrade. It's either 5w (low vis) or 10w (high vis), WAY different from 80/90w.

Ralph
It's not the viscosity that matters, it's the ball test: How much pressure can you apply between 2 lubricated surfaces before the lubricating film breaks down and allows the metal parts to touch. Lubricants have come a long way since GL-1 was first introduced and low vis oil does much better in the winter.

I tell you what he needs to do to eliminate confusion. If he chooses to ignore his manual, he can dip into his sump and pull out some of his current oil and go from there.

I'll bet it's low viscosity and orange in color. I just pulled up his tractor and it's a hydrostat. Hydrostats use Premium rated trans/hyd fluid. Now why would a mfgr. of a current production hydrostat lawn mower put 90w oil in the front axle when he has JM20C on hand and is filling the rear sump?

Just don't want your answer to confuse the guy.

The 4010 is a late 1960's design. Used lubes of the era. I had one of them and a 4020. I just looked up your 2025R and it's a modern hydrostat drive with hydrostat steering and wet disc brakes with Ind PTO and all the modern stuff. It's your tractor and surely you know what you have, but again, makes no sense for a manufacturer on a modern production assembly line to put outdated 90w oil in the front gearbox of their tractors when they use JM20C or D all weather premium hyd-trans oil in the main sump and surely in his big tractors. My Branson was built by the same folks that build numerous Deer mid range tractors. Google Kukji if you are curious as to which models they build. It has JM20C (equivalent) in the front axle and in the main sump.