Does diesel go bad?

/ Does diesel go bad? #1  

Dewbie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 4608, Ford 5900
Can diesel go bad and cause problems in a motor? Long story short I've got a 1,000 gallon fuel tank with diesel that's about 2 years old. I used about 500 gallons of it last year between fueling a rented dozer and my tractor. Was just wondering if I could cause problems by fueling equipment with 2 year old diesel? It looks and smells like diesel lol. No treatment was ever added to it.

/ Does diesel go bad? #2  
I'd add some and a good filter on the tank hose, then keep right on using it.

/ Does diesel go bad? #3  
I second that, a good filter and treat the diesel with a biocide so it doesnt start growing stuff. I have seen diesels that have sat for decades start up with whatever diesel is still in the tanks and fuel lines. Now if it has bio diesel in it, that might be a different story.

/ Does diesel go bad?
It's just plain red dye diesel

/ Does diesel go bad? #5  
Depends on what you want to do with it.
Start a bonfire? use it straight.
Run it through a Bosch High Pressure Fuel injector? Biocide it, filter it , and add some lubrication.

I've a 1988 7.3 IDI van that I last filled up about 8 years ago. I start it up about 5 times a year, once to take it in for inspection, once and a while to drive it around.

There's been numerous reports on here of 10 year old diesel fuel running fine.

/ Does diesel go bad?
Depends on what you want to do with it.
Start a bonfire? use it straight.
Run it through a Bosch High Pressure Fuel injector? Biocide it, filter it , and add some lubrication.

I've a 1988 7.3 IDI van that I last filled up about 8 years ago. I start it up about 5 times a year, once to take it in for inspection, once and a while to drive it around.

There's been numerous reports on here of 10 year old diesel fuel running fine.

What kind of lubricant? It'll be going in a Massey 4608. I've been putting it in the old Ford 5900 and Kubota l3200 with no problems but I'd hate to mess up a 40k tractor due to bad fuel if there's such a thing.

/ Does diesel go bad? #7  
   / Does diesel go bad?
I'll look at buying a water separator and filter to go on the transfer tank.

/ Does diesel go bad? #9  
What kind of lubricant? It'll be going in a Massey 4608. I've been putting it in the old Ford 5900 and Kubota l3200 with no problems but I'd hate to mess up a 40k tractor due to bad fuel if there's such a thing.
Anything good like Power Service Diesel Kleen, Lucas oil, etc.
The primary need for extra lubricant with ULSD fuel is mainly w/ Bosch fuel injectors AFAIK.
Our oldest son just had his High Pressure Fuel Pump explode on a 2013 VW Passat diesel and was replaced at VW expense. A $3K+ expense.

/ Does diesel go bad? #10  
I would add some lubricant. Two stroke outboard oil has been shown to be just as good at the MMo and others add it at like 150-300-1 and i would use some biocide and put a new filter on the hose if you dont have one on it now.

2 years is not that old.