Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ?

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #41  
I got a gallon of stabil for diesel. It's supposed to cover pretty much everything.

Sent from the mountains

I like Power service white myself.

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #42  
This makes me wonder if the sulpher content is the only thing that has changed. How much then as opposed to now? Can a guy add his own sulpher to make older equipment happy again?

Someone once said that Diesel powered car companies had issues because supposedly North American Diesel was "Dirty" compared to European Diesel.

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #43  
   / Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #44  
This makes me wonder if the sulpher content is the only thing that has changed. How much then as opposed to now? Can a guy add his own sulpher to make older equipment happy again?

Someone once said that Diesel powered car companies had issues because supposedly North American Diesel was "Dirty" compared to European Diesel.

Stuff that was designed to run on ULSD isn't too picky. The issue is running the older stuff with ULSD. That's why I add Power Service ... it puts back the lubricity the fuel pump wants which is what the sulpher's job was way back when. I also add a ZDDP additive to oil of older flat tappet diesel's because today's oils are skimping on that too compared to yester-year.

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #45  
Aaron, it's a small local chain that I took the photos of. Even the on road says Low Sulphur, not ULSD. There's another place even closer to me that sells off road as well, but they can't tell me what it is at all. Trust me, I've asked several times. It's a feed and seed store right at the end of my road, so would be extremely convenient for me to buy it there instead of anywhere. I could just drive my tractor up the lane and fill up.

With the lack of signs or knowledge by the owners stating ULSD, I just can't bring myself to try it.

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #46  
Aaron, it's a small local chain that I took the photos of. Even the on road says Low Sulphur, not ULSD. There's another place even closer to me that sells off road as well, but they can't tell me what it is at all. Trust me, I've asked several times. It's a feed and seed store right at the end of my road, so would be extremely convenient for me to buy it there instead of anywhere. I could just drive my tractor up the lane and fill up.

With the lack of signs or knowledge by the owners stating ULSD, I just can't bring myself to try it.

Strange, I would think that the "weights & measures" department would be on to them about that.

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #47  

David, no offense, but maybe you're over thinking this?

Do you really think the F&S store is making their own diesel in the back room under cover of darkness, rubbing their hands together as they concoct +15 PPM sulphur diesel to sell to unsuspecting tractor owners for the express purpose for forking up those tractor owners and their brand new Tier IV/4/whatever you call them tractors????

OR

They get their diesel from some distributor/supplier who distributes the exact diesel that is refined, distributed and pumped into every fuel farm tank in America?

Another way to put it: the F&S has some source that can magically contrive up some non-EPA-approved diesel (i.e. non-ULSD) with the snap of their fingers vs. they are just totally ignorant of all things diesel?

Personally - I'd go with the simple explanation vs. the fantastical explanation.

But that's just me. YMMV.

Good luck!

/ Utra low sulfur VS High sulfur dyed ? #48  
Any level of biodiesel, 2% or more, will add more lubricity than any off the shelf diesel fuel additive. And considering that the majority of diesel pumps now are pumping biodiesel blends of 2% or more anyway, it is a freebie! Why pay some exorbitant price for an additive to do it? Sulfur was never the lubricity in diesel, but the chemical process to remove sulfur also lowered the lubricity. There is no mandate for refiners to add the lubricity back, so they don't. Biodiesel has NO sulfur, yet it is loaded with lubricity, so that proves that sulfur was not the lubricity in diesel. A simple 2% blend of biodiesel raises lubricity of ULSD to the old LSD levels. A 5% biodiesel blend raises it to pre-LSD levels. Just about everywhere I get diesel nowadays is 5% or even more, up to 15-20% in summer. Been using it for over 6 years in every diesel I own, year round. I go thru roughly 20,000 gallons of diesel a year.