Buying our first diesel tractor

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #1  

RandyinMS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmall Cub
Hello All

We are about to buy a LS Tractor 4150 with tier 4 turbo diesel. I have owned and worked on standard fuel engines but not diesel.

Any tips suggestions?
Concerns with diesel engines/fuel?
We only get a few days in winter below 20 but what is to cold?

More questions coming

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #2  
Too cold? Do you mean cold to operate or start the engine. People start them at forty below. It is just a matter of the steps you take to do so. At 20 degrees or even10 just go thru the normal glow plug cycle per your mnual and fire it up. I se a diesel fuel conditioner in the winter to help ensure the fuel does not gel. The fuel should be conditioned by the fuel supplier but I treat it to make sure. Once started let it warm up good and smooth out before working it then have at it. But 20 degree's is not much of a problem.

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #3  
The colder it goes below zero - the more I determine if I want to be out there. As far as the tractor - I use fuel conditioner - I have the battery on a charger/maintainer and I simply follow the procedure outlined in my Op manual. Have had two diesel tractors in the 34 years I've been here and never had either fail me - even in the coldest weather (-20F). I will admit though, at 20 below there has to be a dam good reason for ME to be outside.

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #4  
The colder it goes below zero - the more I determine if I want to be out there. As far as the tractor - I use fuel conditioner - I have the battery on a charger/maintainer and I simply follow the procedure outlined in my Op manual. Have had two diesel tractors in the 34 years I've been here and never had either fail me - even in the coldest weather (-20F). I will admit though, at 20 below there has to be a dam good reason for ME to be outside.

Amen!.. My threshold is about 0.. I would really NEED to operate the tractor to do so at that temp

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #5  
Amen!.. My threshold is about 0.. I would really NEED to operate the tractor to do so at that temp

LOL. He said he only gets a few days where the temperature is below 20.

He didn't say 20 below zero!

He lives inMississippi. If he was getting 20 below temps, those north of him would be in real trouble.

MoKelly

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #6  
LOL. He said he only gets a few days where the temperature is below 20.

He didn't say 20 below zero!

He lives inMississippi. If he was getting 20 below temps, those north of him would be in real trouble.

MoKelly

I know his area is warmer than we are here in SW Mo. He has nothing to worry about at all in Miss.

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #7  
Yea - Randy is in the banana belt as far as winter wx. However, we are challenging the Atacama Desert here in Eastern WA this summer. The big winner this summer continues to be the wildfires.

Another tip for Randy - keep your tractor stored out of the sun, if possible. The sun (UV) will really raise havoc with the tires and vinyl seat.

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #8  
20F or -20F or -20C
The operator's manual is the source of info on how to operate your tractor . Any diesel even IF it will start. It should be warmed with a block heater when temperatures are at or below freezing. Probably even more so with a Tier IV and it's particulate trap. The engine coolant temperature and exhaust stack temp have to be high for clean combustion.
Avoid puttering around , short duty , stop , start and lightly loaded operation when possible . Do not idle dead slow or for extended periods of time .
Fuel conditioner and trying to make #2 summer diesel into something that it is not , is just courting problems. In the winter use #1 winter diesel. Just one set of jelled fuel filters costs more time and money. Than any "savings" using #2 summer diesel in the winter.

Last edited:
   / Buying our first diesel tractor #9  
Snow has got to be blown, even at -40. Cold is rejuvenating.

OP - get the tractor with a block heater, but diesel furl conditioner and use it year round. Buy a spare fuel filter to keep in stock in case you have a gel up.

Good luck.

/ Buying our first diesel tractor #10  
Hello All

We are about to buy a LS Tractor 4150 with tier 4 turbo diesel. I have owned and worked on standard fuel engines but not diesel.

Any tips suggestions?
Concerns with diesel engines/fuel?
We only get a few days in winter below 20 but what is to cold?

More questions coming

No offense Randy, but answers to generic questions like yours are best found in the owner's manual.

Even with specific questions, people's posts are based on;

1. The tractor they own
2. How they use
3. Their circumstances
4. Their opinions, which some people present as facts.

The LS forums are a great source of information for the tractor you bought.