E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump...

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Any of you watch Pump, a documentary on netflix? If so, any thoughts?

Any of you run Flex Fuel? E-85? Any of you live in Brazil?

This docu sent me on my tail, Granted all media has a purpose and a person pulling the idea strings, but it seems to me this docu may be onto something.

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #2  
Any of you watch Pump, a documentary on netflix? If so, any thoughts?

Any of you run Flex Fuel? E-85? Any of you live in Brazil?

This docu sent me on my tail, Granted all media has a purpose and a person pulling the idea strings, but it seems to me this docu may be onto something.

What was the gist of the documentary?

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump...
Opens with the manipulation of oil companies in early America (1920's) via the Rockefellers. Well documented issue on how they manipulated infrastructure to sell oil. Moves on to how gas stations only sell one thing, gas in the US. How in Brazil they sell gas, ethanol methanol and electricty at the pump. Moves on to use of Ethanol on gas, Explains what Methanol is, then shows how simple it is to make Methanol. How car companies are not promoting Flex in this country. Finishes up with accusations that big oil has been manipulating the media (Food prices has risen due to Ethanol use as opposed to the movies conjecture that food prices were going up anyway due to the high cost of gas).

Makes a good stand on how we need to really get off the foreign oil tit and also realize that our gas / oil fields are finite.

For me it is intriguing as the movie made the stance that you can easily convert your car to FLEX either with a software hack or a control box.

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #4  
the movie made the stance that you can easily convert your car to FLEX either with a software hack or a control box.

Everything I've read said you can't. You must use stainless steal parts so they don't corrode and there must be at least one additional sensor. You really can't just flip a switch and be o.k. But I'm not an expert.

DEWFPO

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #5  
E85/Ethanol sux. Nuff said.

They did not mention the parts issue, need to look into that. They did show that most cars software is written to accept flex, but that the software is tuned off and that it is against the law to hack the software.

As for E85 sucking, they bring that up saying your mileage will be off, but the cost and the cleaner burning make up for it. Again, I am not promoting this as fact, just intrigued to see if anyone here is running a flex scenario in the US...

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #7  
My 2007 pick up is a flex fuel model. From the owners manual E85 will provide 30% less mileage, require oil changes at twice the normal interval and may cause starting and idle problems at extreme high or low temperatures. Not interested in trying it at any price discount.

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #8  
My 2012 Chrysler 300 is E-85 compatible. Once on a trip to IL I filled up at a station that had it available. The next morning the temperature was around 20 degrees. I didn't think the car was ever going to start. I will "P" in the tank before I put anymore in it.

/ E/85 Flex Fuel The Documentary called Pump... #9  
I used E85 a little in my 2013 Ford Taurus over the past few years, other than a little mileage I would have not know the difference. I used methanol in my dirt race car for several years, never had a starting problem but would burn twice the fuel the gas users would.

So for those of you who say it is a bad thing, what if by using it we could stop being dependant on foreign oil. Again, I am not for it or against it, just wondering that if the emotion of being less in the Saudi pocket is worth the dropped mileage / harder starting issue which no one seems to contest.