Gasohol and Small Engines

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Thought some of you would find this useful; an answer from the maker of StaBil regarding their products:

Hello Ronald,

Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Company. For small engines, we usually recommend using STA-BILョ 360 Performance. The marine formula has additional additives that are mostly designed to work in very humid conditions. However, in your situation, perhaps the marine formula would be more beneficial because of the humidity. At the moment, we offer STA-BILョ 360 marine in 8oz. If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,

Conrad Manzano
Gold Eagle Co.
(800) 367-3245
marketing@goldeagle.com

Protecting, Preserving, & Performing Since 1932.

I have had excellent results with their older Marine product but am now switching to 360 Marine. It is not cheap but I buy 50 gallons at a time in my transfer tank. The most temperamental of my engines are the chain saws and they have performed flawlessly using the previous Marine product.

Ron

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #2  
I find it best just to buy ethanol free gas, does the trick for me
:thumbsup:

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #3  
Of course this individual would recommend you use a product they sell and the most expensive one. Perhaps it is the area of the country, perhaps the refiner but we have been able to buy nothing but ethanol in our area for 15 years at least. We have six 4 stroke small engines, the newest 12 years old to 60+ year old Wisconsin AKN, five - 2 stroke from 5 to 20 years old and have never had a problem attributable to the use of ethanol. I use no additive and what is left in the tank or can at the end of the season is what we start with next season.

IF there is no problem with the fuel to start with you can use most any additive with probably the same results.

Walt Conner

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #4  
You are very lucky, because I have had nothing but trouble using normal ethanol laced gasoline.
As soon as I quit using it all of my small engine trouble went away
:confused2:

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #5  
There are other threads with experiences same as mine, I think much of the problems blamed on ethanol are due to other circumstances.

Walt Conner

/ Gasohol and Small Engines
We have the same situation on ethanol up here, only thing available except isolated dealers that have non-alcohol and it is .20 a gallon more if you want to drive after it. It seems the newer engines are the vulnerable ones with the cheap alloys they use in fuel systems. Prior to using Stay Bil Marine I would have crudded up carburetors in 6 months. The new product is supposed to coat surfaces and prevent the corrosion. Even the previous Marine product still resulted in corrosion over a year. If the new 360 Marine stops the corrosion it is worth the price as each carburetor job costs me $60 min. With 4 chain saws, a large generator, and 3 other small engines it pencils out for me; if it works.

Remember, even non-alcohol gas has an affinity for moisture. I have never had water in my 50 gallon tank but I have a water absorbing filter on the pump and change it often.

Ron

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #7  
There are other threads with experiences same as mine, I think much of the problems blamed on ethanol are due to other circumstances. Walt Conner

I disagree. I work part time in the marine business and in the last 10 years the fuel problems have quadrupled.

Chris

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #8  
I disagree. I work part time in the marine business and in the last 10 years the fuel problems have quadrupled. Chris
i agree w you ethanol sucks!!

/ Gasohol and Small Engines #9  
As a dealer and service center for power equipment I see problems related to ethanol, but it is always due to water contamination, or just old fuel. Been using ethanol fuel at the shop for years, since my local station switched their 93 to ethanol. I only use 93 in my vehicles as well as customer products. The additive that is being pushed hard by lawnmower dealers, and atv, motorcycle dealers is the startron additive. Just never had good luck with the stabil products, especially since their product has an expiration date.

the ethanol by itself doesn't cause the problem it is the hydrophillic property of ethanol this is the issue. Also when you get water contamination of your fuel, and pulls the ethanol out of suspension and your octane drops about 2 points. So if you are starting with 87 octane it is now 85.