Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #1  

RedHawkRidge

Silver Member
I've used both the JD 50-plus ii and the Rotella T6 synthetic. They're close in price: Approx $20 per gallon. Anyone have reason to prefer one over the other?
thanks
jim

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #2  
The regular plus 5O is not synthetic I don't think and is 15-40. The t6 is synthetic and is 5-40. The Deere oil is very good and I would have no hesitation using it in anything but if they are the same price I think the t6 is a better oil.

It is entirely up to you if you want synthetic or not many engines go lots of hours or miles on both. I prefer synthetic for cold starts but truthfully either is fine.

If you are going to use the plus 50 why not just use Delo or regular rotella for $11-12 a gallon?

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #3  
I suspect the Deere oil may be a little different with some additional additives+. In their skid steers, they use the same Plus 50 oil for the engine, hydraulic system oil, and chain case lube. They also recommend twice as long between oil changes vs. other diesel oils. All marketing hype, or is there a difference?

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #4  
I suspect the Deere oil may be a little different with some additional additives+. In their skid steers, they use the same Plus 50 oil for the engine, hydraulic system oil, and chain case lube. They also recommend twice as long between oil changes vs. other diesel oils. All marketing hype, or is there a difference?

I have two Deere skid steers a 332 and 322. They both use engine oil for the hydraulic system. I have never used Deere oil in either one of them.

I think it is marketing hype. Don't get me wrong Deere oil is not a bad oil I actually think it is quite good but I wouldn't pay double what other conventionals are for it.

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #5  
Synthetic has a more consistent molecular structure than dino oil. This gives it better flow and performance.

Obviously dino has served very well for over 100 years. Syn. gives better cold weather performance and with the right filter can be used much longer.
Higher cost and longer life with syn. or lower cost with dino and shorter service life. Cost wise it is a wash.
I use syn for the benefit of longer service life and better cold weather performance.

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #6  
Synthetic has a more consistent molecular structure than dino oil. This gives it better flow and performance.

Obviously dino has served very well for over 100 years. Syn. gives better cold weather performance and with the right filter can be used much longer.
Higher cost and longer life with syn. or lower cost with dino and shorter service life. Cost wise it is a wash.
I use syn for the benefit of longer service life and better cold weather performance.

I agree 100%. My point was though specifically to OP's question that while Deere oil is good I wouldn't pay nearly double what a similar conventional oil costs. If he wants to spend that much a better oil go with a synthetic.

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #7  
I have two Deere skid steers a 332 and 322. They both use engine oil for the hydraulic system. I have never used Deere oil in either one of them.

I think it is marketing hype. Don't get me wrong Deere oil is not a bad oil I actually think it is quite good but I wouldn't pay double what other conventionals are for it.

Well Deere recommends an extended change interval (twice as many hours) so if the cost is double, you come out a bit ahead (save on filter and labor). Not sure if cutting your sales volume in half is all marketing "hype".

I'm no expert and especially for hydraulic oil, I usually follow the manufacture's recommendation. I figure they may have designed the system for it. For example, my Kubota mini excavator does not recommend Kubota hydraulic oil but rather Shell Telus, Mobile DTE or Exxon NUTO. I have no clue but assume they know what they are doing.

/ Diesel oil comparison JD vs Rotella #8  
I've used both the JD 50-plus ii and the Rotella T6 synthetic. They're close in price: Approx $20 per gallon. Anyone have reason to prefer one over the other?
thanks
jim

Both are premium oils. I see you live in cold country. I'd happily go with either one....in fact, I have. Last time I changed it was to to an synthetic oil rated better for very cold temperatures. Yes, I use a block heater, but my concern is still the avoidable wear that can happen when starting on cold mornings. BTW, that goes double for the hydro/tranny fluid.
rScotty