Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of??

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #11  
I have gotten rid of many a years stale gas mix by doing just as you say, putting it in the car. I don't do it by the pint but the gallon. Haven't had any problems especially if you add it to a near full tank.

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #12  
Me too.

At the end of summer I've always put whatever small-engine gas was left over, into the car. Even if it included 2 cycle oil. Likewise the remainder of a can of Coleman fuel after the last camping trip of the year. I think this is preferable to storing it over the winter. It's never caused a problem. Better to consume it than to let it evaporate and add to the hole in the ozone layer.

Decomposed gas has a bad smell and I would draw the line at that. If it smells bad then it should only go in small proportions to a carbureted engine, since it could foul injectors.

Gasoline is a powerful solvent. I think as long as the good fuel is at least 20:1 to the old stuff, then no problem.

On the other hand I considered the advice I received here and didn't try to burn years-old kerosene in my diesel tractor due to the risk of damaging the injectors.

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #13  
I simply put in in the tank of my suburban. Since it has a 40 gal tank, a gallon or two will be satisfactorily diluted. Have never had an injector problem after doing this. I don't see this as a problem. I had two 2.5 gal gas cans that I could not figure out which had two cycle oil and which did not. Dumped them in the suburban, marked them clearly and went and got a fresh supply. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #14  
That same bucket with a little bit of water, and a few drops of dish detergent will do the same. Once that water tension is gone.. anything landing in it is history. ( I've got too many animals on my property to leave gas out.. )

Soundguy

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #15  
I run it in my car.

half a gallon in a tank won't hurt anything.

One of those magic water separation filters might be a good idea, but I just dump it in the tank.

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #16  
<font color="blue"> At the end of summer I've always put whatever small-engine gas was left over, into the car. Even if it included 2 cycle oil. </font>

I did the same thing to a Mazda B2200 pickup I had many moons ago. I don't remember the quantity but I think it was around 1/2 gallon of 2 cycle gas. Well, next day on the way to work I eventually couldn't get it up over 30 mph on the highway. I limped it to the auto parts store....and back again when I was given the wrong part.... and replaced the fuel filter and it was good to go. Ever since I just figured this was a "never do". I'm surprised it has caused others no problems what with how quickly it crippled that truck.

As far as disposing of noxious liquids I will put a small amount of it into the used kitty litter every week and take it to the dump. And I do mean a very small amount....say a couple of cups so there is no liquid left. Not sure if this is good or bad but since you can also dispose of motor oil that way I figure it's okay.

Jeff

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #17  
we mix diesel in with 2 4 d an glyfosate for a stickin agent cant see why you cant use old gas for same purpose

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #18  
Hi
I have never had a problem using gas stored over the winter months I have had as much as 15 gallons that might be as much as 6-8 months old and it runs fine in my tractor and lawn mowers.

If its 2-3 years old I might use it to wash parts. I know some say its not good to use gas for that purpose but it works good and I have been doing it for too many years to change. then I use it to help start fires.

Charlie

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #19  
NY_Yankees_Fan,

Never had old gas, I always use stable in my gas, I haven't ever had a problem /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Old Gasoline Best Way To Dispose Of?? #20  
Reading this post reminded me of a catastrophe that happened a few years back at the Recycle Energy Plant that was located in Akron, Ohio. At the time they burned trash and recyclables as an alternative way to generate city steam. One morning a large commercial truck dumped its load of sawdust and other debris and within minutes of it being feed into the machinery there was an explosion that killed at least one worker and injured others.

As I recall the investigation found that someone had disposed of lacquer thinner and other paint by-products and used the sawdust to absorb and dispose of the toxic chemicals. I'm not sure if they are still using recyclables in the plant any longer.

Be real careful out there.