Confused with API ratings

/ Confused with API ratings #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
My 2012 Kubota B3200 owner's manual says to use 10W30 oil. It specifically states:

NOTE Engine Oil :
Oil used in the engine should have an American Petroleum Institute (API) service classification and Proper SAE Engine Oil according to the ambient temperatures as shown above:
With the emission control now in effect, the CF-4 and CG-4 lubricating oils have been developed for use of a low-sulfur fuel on on-road vehicle engines. When an off-road vehicle engine runs on a high-dulfur fuel, it is advisable to employ the "CF or better" lubricating oil with a high Total Base Number (TBN of 10 minimum).
Refer to the following table for the suitable API classification of engine oil according to the Fuel : (Low Sulfur or High Sulfur Fuels).
Fuel used
High Sulfur Fuel ppm (If the "CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4" lubricating oil is used with a high-sulfur fuel, change the lubricating oil at shorter intervals. (approximately half)
Low Sulfur Fuel ォ 500 ppm) or Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel ォ 15 ppm) CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4)

The CJ-4 engine oil is intended for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) type engines, and cannot be used on this tractor.

All the full synthetic diesel oils list that they meet CJ-4. Am I correct in assuming that I can't use them in my tractor? When I did my first oil change I used dino so it wasn't an issue but I'd really like to switch to full synthetic.

/ Confused with API ratings #2  
The red part is crap. I have used CJ-4 oils in all my diesels since CJ-4 showed up. My NH non emission tractor and my Detroit 60 non emission semi engine. CJ-4 oils are backward compatible with the API certifications that came before. The only provision supplied at the API website is that CJ-4 use, with higher that ULSD fuel, might require more frequent oil changes. Since virtually all on road AND off road diesel now is ULSD, should not be any issue. The only difference anymore between on road and off road is the red dye in the off road showing that was not taxed. API CJ-4 oils EXCEED the performance characteristics of the previous classes.

http://www.apicj-4.org/2009_ENGINE_OIL_GUIDE.pdf

Specifically.....

Introduced in 2006. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2007 model year on-highway exhaust emission standards. CJ-4 oils are compounded for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, use of these oils with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or oil drain interval. CJ-4 oils are effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning, particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties, oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

/ Confused with API ratings
Thanks Copperhead, that link helped a lot. The only thing I can figure is Kubota's engineers or the people who wrote the service manual never updated it.

/ Confused with API ratings #4  
If you go to Kubota's web site, you will find a link to their lubricant use. They only recommend CJ-4 or CI-4 oils for engines with EGR, or CJ-4, CI-4, or CH-4 oils for engines without EGR. They also have the footnote stating to refer to your Operator's Manual for specific information. As you discovered your manual is obsolete - you'd be hard pressed to find the oils they recommend on somebody's shelf.

/ Confused with API ratings #5  
CJ-4 and all the new engine oils for diesels are engineered to be backwards compatible. So you are fine to use.

My Kubota manual says the same thing. What's even funnier is if you look at a new jug of Kubota brand 10W30 engine oil it says it is CJ-4 approved. So apparently you can't use their own oil, LOL.

/ Confused with API ratings
Thanks all, just bought Rotella T6 today for the tractor. The good news I found out is that Walmart has it in quart bottles. All the other places I found that carry it only carry gallon jugs. I only need 6 quarts for a full oil/filter change so buying 2 gallons is a waste of 2 quarts.

/ Confused with API ratings #7  
Thanks all, just bought Rotella T6 today for the tractor. The good news I found out is that Walmart has it in quart bottles. All the other places I found that carry it only carry gallon jugs. I only need 6 quarts for a full oil/filter change so buying 2 gallons is a waste of 2 quarts.

Buy 3 gallons an you have enough for two services at less cost.

Chris

/ Confused with API ratings #8  

Buy 3 gallons an you have enough for two services at less cost.

Chris

Yep buy another gallon and keep it on hand till next time.