When Change #2 to #1

/ When Change #2 to #1 #11  
Actually, most stations up north, at least ones that cater to farmers, commercial users, etc, will start blending #2 and #1 after 1st of November. Unless you are in some very serious cold weather, i.e. -25F or less, running straight #1 is not necessary. I fuel my semi truck all winter on typical #2/#1 blended fuel and that truck runs the Dakotas, MN, WI, MI etc from Nebraska to Ohio. Tractor at home gets the same fuel. Now, I do dose my fuel with an additive I get from my oil supplier as a preventative measure, but mostly to control moisture and such. A good diesel fuel additive should have good anti-icing properties. Most folks think fuel is gelling in winter, when in fact, it is icing that is plugging the filter. Since ULSD showed up, icing has been more of an issue. The stuff likes to attract moisture. Some additives do a better job than others for icing. I have tried it for a friend who wanted me to test it, but a real sleeper of a product is the Amway, yes Amway not Amsoil, XLP diesel fuel additive. It is made by Chevron. Very fine product for winter fuel protection and very cost effective. I actually thought it was better than Power Service, Howes, etc. I use Schaeffer Oil brand primarily as that is my oil supplier and I can get it at a steal of price. Very good stuff.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #12  
A good diesel fuel additive should have good anti-icing properties. Most folks think fuel is gelling in winter, when in fact, it is icing that is plugging the filter. Since ULSD showed up, icing has been more of an issue. The stuff likes to attract moisture. Some additives do a better job than others for icing.

So what you are saying is they have now screwed up diesel fuel the same way they did gas when the started adding Ethanol.

Chris

/ When Change #2 to #1 #13  
Nothing wrong with PS but around here the truckers and farmers and as well as myself use Howe's.
Howes LubricatorIt can be bought at TSC.
DevilDog

/ When Change #2 to #1 #15  
In NE Kansas, when do the fuel retailers change from #2 to #1? I asked two of the legal (?) alien attendants, and they had no idea what I was asking. It is 80 something today, but that's not normal for this time of year.
I wonder how many ill educated greasy (?) redneck attendants would know the answer to your question.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #16  
I wonder how many ill educated greasy (?) redneck attendants would know the answer to your question.

No such thing down here, we have pay at the pump.
For the record: neither comment bothers me. Ya'll are way to sensitive. The discussion was about fuel. Oh, I almost forgot, this Alabamian uses Power Service year round for cetane and lubrication.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #17  
No such thing down here, we have pay at the pump. For the record: neither comment bothers me. Ya'll are way to sensitive. The discussion was about fuel. Oh, I almost forgot, this Alabamian uses Power Service year round for cetane and lubrication.
My point, besides sarcasm, was that fuel attendants are rather unlikely to know much about fuel mixtures. It's above their pay grade.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #18  
And my point was the OP is a racist.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #20  
So what you are saying is they have now screwed up diesel fuel the same way they did gas when the started adding Ethanol.

Chris

Well, I suppose to some degree. But moisture and associated problems have been more prevalent with ULSD. I go thru over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year. I have learned to really watch for things, and icing has cropped up more as an issue since ULSD came on the scene. Not some sort of boogyman waiting to get you, but one must be a little more diligent in how they do things.