Disposal of oil

/ Disposal of oil #1  

vanguard

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti DK45SE
All stars aligned and I have to change the oil in two zero turns, a riding mower, a tractor, two cars, and a golf cart at pretty much the same time.

I'm thinking that I might be a candidate for something other than running to auto zone with each trip. What do other shade tree mechanics and farmers do? Can I buy a tank and have somebody come to empty it when I call them? Is it expensive? Free?

/ Disposal of oil #2  
I save mine in 5 gallon containers and take them to my tractor dealer who uses it to heat his shop, he will unload and take any amount. You might ask around as several local farners use the same type of heat.

/ Disposal of oil #3  
Most auto parts and tractor dealers take used oil. Some of the auto parts have limits either in gallons or "personal" vehicles. I haven't checked with any of the oil change shops but they would probably take it too. There's has to be going somewhere.

Check your state's EPA rules. Some states like Texas have outlawed waste oil burning of any kind, including in heaters.

/ Disposal of oil #4  
I have several guys bring their used oil to me for my waste oil burner. As long as you keep it just oils, and not contaminated with anti-freeze, or water, most guys will be glad to take it.

If it is legal to have burners there, an ad to Craigslist in the free section will normally find some takers, if there is enough to make the trip.

/ Disposal of oil #5  
Heat with oil? Pour it into the oil tank.

/ Disposal of oil #6  
My local dump takes it free of charge. I just pour it back into the original containers and they throw the containers away. Plus they take used oil filters. I think they realized that burning used oil isn't great for the planet since there's lots of stuff besides the oil mixed in so they came up with a better solution. When I was a kid my father would just dig a small pit, park the car over it, and drain the oil into the pit. Once done he would fill the pit back in.

/ Disposal of oil #7  
Our county dump takes all you can bring for free

/ Disposal of oil #8  
In Ma, any store that sells oil has to take the used oil. I put it in the new emptied oil containers and bring it back where I got it.

Maybe your state has a similar law.

/ Disposal of oil #9  
Local Advance Auto parts will take up to 5 gal. at a time. The guy I get all of my tires from will take all I care to bring him. Most places that sell oil in area also take used oil

/ Disposal of oil #10  
<snip>
Check your state's EPA rules. Some states like Texas have outlawed waste oil burning of any kind, including in heaters.
Are you sure Texas outlawed burning used oil?
ECAR Fact Sheet for Texas
Used Oil

(includes transmission & brake fluid)

Management of Used Oil

Used oil must be managed properly to protect the environment. It can be burned as a fuel, recycled or discarded. If it is burned off or recycled and not mixed with other materials, it is NOT considered hazardous waste. If it is disposed of/discarded, however, it must be managed as hazardous waste
from Used Oil