Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #1  

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
I bought a Kubota BX25D-1, last week. Since the dealer was cutting deals, I grabbed a tube of Kubota grease. The dealer said it was appropriate for my tractor. Upon further review, I find red grease was used on the tractor from assembly. Upon reading the manual, it states "High quality grease designating 'extreme pressure' and containing molybdenum disulfide is recommended" (Page 96).

The grease I have is the blue colored Kubota Polyurea Grease as seen, here (the top product):
https://www.kubota.com/part/Lubricants.aspx

I have since read you aren't supposed to mix greases. Thus far, I have mixed them in three zerks.

Between getting the wrong grease and finding out I shouldn't have mixed too late, I'm not real impressed.

Does anyone have an idea what red colored grease the dealer might have used?

How bad is putting the blue grease on top of the red?

Would it be best to buy new "Moly EP" grease and shelf the Kubota Polyurea?

I was hoping to use the same grease for the tractor and our commuter vehicles. Any insight on this? I have no idea what the local Chevrolet dealer uses in their shop.

Grease is cheap enough I would rather use the right stuff.

Can I reuse the tube after I remove it from the gun, if I need to upgrade? Or trash it and start over?

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #2  
I would not worry about the unit coming with red grease. Buy extreme pressure, moly grease and just continue using that. The only downside to moly grease is that its black and seems to get on everything and ends up everywhere.

I pretty sure if you read up on your commuter vehicle - it will not require EP Moly grease. If you have only one grease gun I would load it with the EP Moly and use it on both the tractor and commuter vehicle. Unless the commuter vehicle is something special the Moly will meet its requirements also.

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #3  
I agree... get the better stuff, use it in everything, done.

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #4  
There are incompatible types of grease that shouldn't be mixed. But as long as two greases are compatible, they can be mixed without concern. Doesn't matter if the colors/brands are different. I am guessing the red and blue grease are OK together, but to say for sure we'd need to know more about the red grease. Most of the red greases I have seen are not anything special/exotic, so they are probably OK with the Kubota grease.

At one time, I found a chart on the Kubota website (they go into detail on their greases) talking about greases and compatibility. You may want to look for that and see if it helps any.

I bought a 5 gal pail of the Kubota blue grease, and use it for everything on my tractor (and some other stuff). As I recall, it's compatible with many other grease types.

On my previous tractor, I bought some black moly grease for the loader, and it was nasty black dirty grease that stained everything. I ditched that and couldn't wait to push it out with different grease.

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #6  
Last edited:
   / Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #7  
Almost any kind of grease applied regularly is better than the most expensive grease applied irregularly.

One of the new grease-gun-to-zerk couplers makes greasing a faster, somewhat less messy process. Expensive; worth it.

Amazon.com: LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler - Zerk Grease Coupler Fitting Tip - Easy Lock-on, Clip-off - Stays on - Grease goes in, not on the machine: Automotive
+1 on the lockNlube. Not cheap but makes greasing almost fun. There is a thread or two on this product here on TBN if you want some testimonials. More important than grease type is grease frequency. This tool helps in that regard. My :2cents:

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #8  
Regular application of the "wrong" grease is far better than infrequent application of the right stuff. Personally I use the black nasty molly EP stuff.

The best thing you can do for the unsealed joints is lots of grease frequently. It flushes out any debris as well as keeping things lubed. Over greasing a sealed joint can blow out the seals though. When looking at a used tractor I'd rather see one with a pile of old grease making the joints look dirty rather than something nice & clean. That way you can surmise its been regularly greased.

The Skinny on Grease Compatibility has a matrix showing what grease is compatible with what other types.

I also love my Lock 'N Lube. Its way overprices costing more than my grease gun, but worth it.

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #9  
John Deere markets the Polyurea product as their best grease. It may have some moly content, I dunno. The Red I use does and I am not sure why it does not show some tint of the blackness as moly is black. I don't think your equipment will blow up or dissolve. Use it, use it often.

prs

/ Grease Ignorant Poster-Kubota Polyurea #10  
Regular application of the "wrong" grease is far better than infrequent application of the right stuff. Personally I use the black nasty molly EP stuff. The best thing you can do for the unsealed joints is lots of grease frequently. It flushes out any debris as well as keeping things lubed. Over greasing a sealed joint can blow out the seals though. When looking at a used tractor I'd rather see one with a pile of old grease making the joints look dirty rather than something nice & clean. That way you can surmise its been regularly greased. The Skinny on Grease Compatibility has a matrix showing what grease is compatible with what other types. I also love my Lock 'N Lube. Its way overprices costing more than my grease gun, but worth it.

Yep, I'm sold on the Lock N Lube as well. It works on every fitting I have except the recessed ones on my LS FEL? I keep a spare gun with standard nozzle to grease the loader.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet