Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #1  

Beechboy

Tractor
2010 JD 3520,2008 JD LA 175, 1946 Ford 2N
Morning Folks
My 2010 JD 3520 engine oil was recently Serviced with Synthetic, has anyone changed to synthetic and extended their oil change interval, and is it Recommended ??

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #2  
I changed to syn a few years ago. I have not extended the service interval even though some of the manufacturers claim extended life.
I don't think the oil can stop other contaminates getting into the oil so the long it is in there the more contaminates build up.

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520
Thanks for your input !!

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #4  
the reason i changed to syn (rotel t6) was not for extended change interval, but for cold startup properties.
beyond that, i go w/100 hrs or annually, which ever occurs 1st best regards

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #5  
You could go for more hours, but the weak link is the standard oil filter, if you go xtended hours change also the oil filter to one for more hrs

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520
Thanks for the input!!

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #7  
Me, personally, I just change oil every fall irregardless if it was a conventional to the best synthetic on the planet. I don't let anything sit in a sump for more than a year, and I usually don't rack up enough hours to change more than once a year. Condensation can be an issue and can affect acid buildup in an oil over time, so I am on the one year limit rule. Only a few quarts of oil and a filter, not like having to take out a second mortgage to change the stuff.

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #8  
At least annually is good but 100hrs is a waste of oil. I know oil is cheap machines are not but most diesel equipment has at least a 200hr recommended change interval. I have some diesel equipment that gets 100 hrs on it every 9 days. I sure don't change the oil three times a month. Sometimes my semi gets close to 100hrs in four days. When it is cold and I am sleeping in it I don't turn it off for days on end.

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #9  
Agree. If one is really racking up the hours in a year, 100 hrs is not necessary. My HD diesels are getting 400-500 hr oil changes, but they rack up enough hours in a year to go thru 4-5 oil changes. With the quality of oils today, I would place my lower limit at 300 hrs minimum or one year maximum.

I do shut off my semi daily, as running a Webasto bunk heater is a LOT cheaper than running a motor. 1/8th gallon of diesel for 10 hrs vs 1-1.5 gallons per hour to idle the truck? No brainer. But I am paying the bills.

/ Engine oil change Interval Jd 3520 #10  
Me, personally, I just change oil every fall irregardless if it was a conventional to the best synthetic on the planet. I don't let anything sit in a sump for more than a year, and I usually don't rack up enough hours to change more than once a year. Condensation can be an issue and can affect acid buildup in an oil over time, so I am on the one year limit rule. Only a few quarts of oil and a filter, not like having to take out a second mortgage to change the stuff.

This seems like a good rule. I generally change mine once a year or every 70 hours since I don't mind changing it. I don't even care if it is too often. But I agree with others, I think if you are using good oil and filter there is a pretty large tolerance of what you can do 70 - 800 hours for some guys who actually make a living with a diesel. A lot of times the guys who put lots of miles on before an oil change have had oil tests done to ensure the oil isn't breaking down.