Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #1  

adimice

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330
Do any of you guys use Wal-Mart Tractor Hyd, Tran, oil. Kubota UDT is $85 for 5 gal, Napa is $62.15, WM is $42.50. I read that it's made by Quake State/ Pennzoil. My 4330 takes 15 Gals. Thats alot of oil, and sometimes a big mess.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #2  
If it is the same stuff that is sold by Sam's Club (Certified 10W20 Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid - 35 LB Bucket - Sam's Club), then yes, it's all I've been using in my L4200 - it's UDT compatible. No issues whatsoever, although transmission response is a little sluggish when you first start it up in the winter, which is to be expected from a non-SUDT fluid. I might be more picky if I has a HST, but I have a GST. OTOH, probably not.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #3  
I have used small amounts of the Wal-Mart tractor fluid when I needed to top off the fluids, but when I change it I go to the dealer and buy the real stuff.

You are talking about saving $40 on a 5 gallon pail, and you need three pails. How much did the tractor cost? Is it worth saving $120?

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #4  
Many of the oil companies, including Quaker and Pennzoil, were buying gobs of oil from Exxon before I retired. Exxon has the largest oil production location in the world at Baytown, Tx and the largest wax production (2nd or 3rd in oil) at Baton Rouge, La. This was all 17 years ago before I retired and before the merger with Mobil. And also before Baytown's startup of its making semisynthetic oil from slack wax.

Someone must have bought Sun's lube oil production in Tulsa and Puerto Rico. The one in Puerto Rico was hydrocrackate. That may be how Pennzoil got theirs (their synthetic is hydrocrackate). Maybe they're the ones that bought it.

Ralph

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #5  
i have used tsc and walmart for years, now rural king.

for a long time ( i have not checked lately ), warren distro did walmart oil.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #6  
I just got two pails of traveller universal hy/trans fluid at TSC two days ago. $34.99 - 5/gal

Thats usually about the only thing I buy. No need to buy the expensive "kubota" stuff. Its the same oil with a different label IMO.

Same goes for massey, JD, CNH, etc or any other MFG that sticks their name on a bucket of oil.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #7  
I just got two pails of traveller universal hy/trans fluid at TSC two days ago. $34.99 - 5/gal

Thats usually about the only thing I buy. No need to buy the expensive "kubota" stuff. Its the same oil with a different label IMO.

Same goes for massey, JD, CNH, etc or any other MFG that sticks their name on a bucket of oil.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #8  
They are not all the same. The best thing to do is stick with reputable major brands. There are many not so good products on the market.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #9  
They are not all the same. The best thing to do is stick with reputable major brands. There are many not so good products on the market.

+1 I sell New Holland oils, and I stock some Kendall choices as a more affordable alternative. Not all oils are equal, not all additive packages are equal. Some machine applications are more complex than others. CUT's generally are reasonably tolerant to less expensive oils that may have less complex and beneficial additive packages.

Some of those 'cheap' oils use some or all recycled base stocks.

/ Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Oil #10  
You are correct. Some of those 'cheap' oils have also been found wanting in terms of additive content. I think that I may have posted this article before so I apologise if you have already seen it.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/THF Reprint.pdf