GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it?

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I am looking at getting the following for my fuel station; GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER (56591) Bowl Fuel Tank Filter with 3/4" NPT Top Cap, Amazon.com: GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER (56591) Bowl Fuel Tank Filter with 3/4" NPT Top Cap: Automotive.

TSC and others have them too. Been shopping around and everyone is within a few dollars. If you folks have one, how is it holding up and how well does it remove the water. Any help would be appreciated.

If you dont like this unit is there a better option. Pump and fuel hose are 3/4 NPT

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #2  
The Golden Rod is hard to beat. I've had mine on our 300 gallon diesel tank since early 1990's. Replaced the plastic bowl last fall as the original had gotten hard to see thru from being in the sun. 25 years isn't bad. I change my filter cartridge every 4th refill. Mine is all 3/4" as well. Mine is gravity flow wit bottom of tank 7' above ground so flow is excellent.

I've always had great results with Power Service diesel treatment. Gray bottle in summer and white bottle during winter.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1457728676.289741.jpg

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #3  
I used the water block in series with the regular filters on my biodiesel tank and pump. Always worked well and lasted.
I believe the water block will slow down as it gets wet and you can drain through the cock valve.

I would recommend them plus they are carried everywhere.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it?
Thanks - any reliable sources to get online that folks like? TSC only carries the 1" NPT thread in my store and can't seem to get the 3/4" one for some reason.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #5  
Amazon is a good a place as any. If you have Prime you get "free" shipping.

You will want the filter wrench as well.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #6  
Good filters. Been using them for over 15 years.

You change yours every 1,200 gallons? That's pretty often. I change mine when it starts pumping slow. Might be more like every 20,000 gallons. Sometimes we burn through 500 gallons a week. I sure don't change it every 5 days. A fuel filter doesn't lose it filtering capability when it gets dirty it just gets plugged up. On a fuel filter on an engine you change it frequently because you don't want a clogged filter starving your motor but on a transfer tank no point in changing it if it is flowing fine. You are just wasting time and money. I know I have not changed my transfer tank filter in over a year and it has had a LOT of fuel through it.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it?
I ended up ordering online from these folks Home | Circle C Country Supply It appears to be a small family operation too.
Good pricing and I saved about 20$ overall. TSC does not stock the 496-3/4 the 3/4 inch one (wont even special order for some reason) and with the bushings the 496 they had got even more expensive so I went online. Even my trusty auto parts stores were all close to $50 on this.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #8  
Good filters. Been using them for over 15 years.

You change yours every 1,200 gallons? That's pretty often. I change mine when it starts pumping slow. Might be more like every 20,000 gallons. Sometimes we burn through 500 gallons a week. I sure don't change it every 5 days. A fuel filter doesn't lose it filtering capability when it gets dirty it just gets plugged up. On a fuel filter on an engine you change it frequently because you don't want a clogged filter starving your motor but on a transfer tank no point in changing it if it is flowing fine. You are just wasting time and money. I know I have not changed my transfer tank filter in over a year and it has had a LOT of fuel through it.

I guess you are pointing at me? No problem. Changing filter every 4th tank refill gives me excellent protection, full fuel flow, etc. I see no reason to run a filter to almost zero flow?

I bought a case of the Golden Rod 496-5 water block cartridges for about $7 each a few years ago. I check the plastic bowl and drain off crap and water often. Our humidity is high here so, moisture is what I watch out for. I refill tank 2-3 times per year.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #9  
As others said, they work. However, they have their limitations and since they absorb water you have to change them periodically.....they'll only absorb so much. On water block vs absorption, I initially thought that the filter media openings were too small for water molecules to pass.....aka water block filtration media. But I was reading somewhere, maybe on the filter carton that it's an absorption filter, not molecular blocking......news to me. Been using them for 30+ years. Change out about every 500 or so gallons. Keep your fuel clean and out of the weather. Buy from a known good, clean, source. Keep tanks closed when not pumping so they can't breathe. "Hydrowhateveryoucallit" is such that when moist, cool, air is ingested, the water stays in the tank when the tank heats up and expels the air. If you keep your tanks sealed, they can't do that. I use Power Services fuel storage additives and while I'm at it put some of their injector cleaner in when I fill up the tractors. I just plain flat do not have any kind of fuel related issues in any of my diesels and my '63 Ford 2000 still has the original injector pump and hasn't been touched......3700ish original hours........nor has a wrench been on the powertrain part of the engine.

When you get yours, and your golden plastic bowl, mount it vertically so that the in/out ports are at the top and the drain valve is pointed straight down. if you have any water in your system (fuel floats), it will settle in the bottom of the bowl where you can see it and the drain plug is located. Just drain it off before you fill up and find out where it's coming from. If water is present, filter will need to be changed more often.

/ GOLDENROD 496-3/4 WATER-BLOCK FILTER How good is it? #10  
I guess you are pointing at me? No problem. Changing filter every 4th tank refill gives me excellent protection, full fuel flow, etc. I see no reason to run a filter to almost zero flow?

I bought a case of the Golden Rod 496-5 water block cartridges for about $7 each a few years ago. I check the plastic bowl and drain off crap and water often. Our humidity is high here so, moisture is what I watch out for. I refill tank 2-3 times per year.

I guess if you refill only 2-3 times a year condensation and moisture could be a problem. I was just pointing out that most people that use these filters don't change them nearly that often. I don't let mine go to where it is a trickle but when I notice it is slower I change it. I run some heavy equipment and am around others that run a lot. On a recent job they had four D6T dozers burning in excess of 100 gallons per day each. We were running 7 days a week for three weeks straight. I never saw them change a filter on the transfer tank and they burned through over 8,000 gallons on that one job.

If you want to change them more often it sure won't hurt anything other than your wallet but there is really no need to until the flow starts to slow. The water block feature of the filter completely stops the flow when t gets water logged. Just make sure you have a spare handy and change it when needed.