Fuel meter for gravity tank?

/ Fuel meter for gravity tank? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
Anyone using a digital fuel meter (diesel) on a stand tank that works OK? When my bulk tank is running low, and filling equipment with a fuel tank mounted high, my flow rate is pretty low, must be less than 2 gal/minute, so I don't want to add much restriction to the line, but with snow on the ground I'm thinking maybe a meter would beat the ladder and stick method.

/ Fuel meter for gravity tank? #2  
My old new to me one I was getting ready, but had a pinhole & the new but slightly used one both have gauges in them. Just a float on an arm & a dial at dead center. If you have a round tank and a center bung it would be easy to install. Harder if you had to make your own port.

Other option would be putting a fitting somewhere on the bottom of the tank & running some clear tube up towards the top. Either vent the end or put it in a fitting back into the tank. Would be fuel in that hose equal to the level in the tank.

My first 500 gallon fill was due today, but got postponed to tomorrow. Getting died off-road, had considered getting undyed road diesel for flexibility & just doing the paperwork to get the road taxes back as I burned it. The pain of precisely tracking how much I used & the fact I don't have a diesel truck (yet) made me just go dyed.

Have a couple old meters I got in a box of stuff at an auction, but don't know if they even work.

/ Fuel meter for gravity tank?
My old new to me one I was getting ready, but had a pinhole & the new but slightly used one both have gauges in them. Just a float on an arm & a dial at dead center. If you have a round tank and a center bung it would be easy to install. Harder if you had to make your own port.

Other option would be putting a fitting somewhere on the bottom of the tank & running some clear tube up towards the top. Either vent the end or put it in a fitting back into the tank. Would be fuel in that hose equal to the level in the tank.

My first 500 gallon fill was due today, but got postponed to tomorrow. Getting died off-road, had considered getting undyed road diesel for flexibility & just doing the paperwork to get the road taxes back as I burned it. The pain of precisely tracking how much I used & the fact I don't have a diesel truck (yet) made me just go dyed.

Have a couple old meters I got in a box of stuff at an auction, but don't know if they even work.

A float gauge would work, except then I'd still have to climb up there. Still better than inserting a rod though, and I have an unused 2 inch fitting up on top. I thought about highway diesel, but similar thought process to you, I decided trying to get taxes back would be too much effort. And now that we've been using dyed it would be a total flush to get rid of the dye. It is amazing how far that dye goes in terms of coloring fuel, if you put 5 gallons of hwy diesel in a jug that had just a little residual off-road in it, the whole thing turns pink.

/ Fuel meter for gravity tank? #4  
These folks may have what you need. Fill-Rite Home Page - Fill-Rite
I am assuming you want to know what has come out of the tank? For a fill level indicator many folks have added the site glass tube to the front of the tank There fairly easy to make with a few fittings off of the outlet. The last one I saw used a T and ran a clear plastic hose up the end of the barrel and looped it over with a vent plug in the end. He could tell at a glance how much was there. I dont remember how he secured it at the top - could have been wire around the fill fitting.