need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I thought it would be simple to find a small 12V pump to transfer diesel.

But a quick check on Amazon shows prices from $15 to $115.

I just want to buy one once.

I'd like it to run off 12V, so I can use my cigarette lighter, doesn't need to be high volume (I can only sneak a 1/2" tube into the tank).

One of the main things I want it for is to near empty my 38 gallon tank so when I go to fill up and use "gas points" I can take advantage of getting 35 gallons with up to a $2.20 discount per gallon (my last tank fill up was $2.199/gallon BEFORE DISCOUNT) SO ESSENTIALLY FREE DIESEL, 35 gallons at a time.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #2  
Most of the fuel point gimmicks around here are limited to 20 gallons or so.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #3  
For quite a while I used a small 12V universal electric fuel pump bought at auto parts store for under $40. I used it to transfer fuel from a 17 gallon tank to my tractor. It as slow and took about 5 minutes to fill a 12 gallon tank. I now buy fuel in bulk (275 gal) and have it delivered. That tank has a 12V 8 gallon per minute pump mounted on the tank.
You could also use a manual fluid siphon transfer pump sold at tractor supply stores.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #4  
Will the cig plug have the amps for a pump?

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #5  
Mate, you get what you pay for...

I have a set-up bought from the manufacturer, but it was their 50ltr unit/ They didn't sell many of them and it turns out that they were going to discontinue the line. The 12V pump it came with crapped out after 4 uses. They replaced it. 6 more uses (amongst other problems) and the plastic impeller sheared. They finally admitted that the pump wasn't enough to do the job and provided a really good pump, which had to be re-plumbed IOT work. Which it now does, worry free.

It is a much more expensive pump, which I run off of a small marine 12V battery, trickle charging it as needed.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump
Most of the fuel point gimmicks around here are limited to 20 gallons or so.
Read my post, my limit is 35 gallons, I'm not concerned about your limits.
For quite a while I used a small 12V universal electric fuel pump bought at auto parts store for under $40. I used it to transfer fuel from a 17 gallon tank to my tractor. It as slow and took about 5 minutes to fill a 12 gallon tank. I now buy fuel in bulk (275 gal) and have it delivered. That tank has a 12V 8 gallon per minute pump mounted on the tank.
You could also use a manual fluid siphon transfer pump sold at tractor supply stores.
Time is not a factor, do you get your diesel for almost free? I've only 4 diesel burners - two 7.3 Fords, two tractors and a VW TDI. I want to be able to pull the truck up next to the other diesel burner and transfer away. It would be a royal pain to get my truck tank higher than my M4700 tank for a "manual" transfer.
Will the cig plug have the amps for a pump?
For a SMALL pump yes.
Mate, you get what you pay for...

I have a set-up bought from the manufacturer, but it was their 50ltr unit/ They didn't sell many of them and it turns out that they were going to discontinue the line. The 12V pump it came with crapped out after 4 uses. They replaced it. 6 more uses (amongst other problems) and the plastic impeller sheared. They finally admitted that the pump wasn't enough to do the job and provided a really good pump, which had to be re-plumbed IOT work. Which it now does, worry free.

It is a much more expensive pump, which I run off of a small marine 12V battery, trickle charging it as needed.
Failures like that are what I'm trying to avoid.

I've plenty of TIME. If it took 5 minutes for 12 gallons that would mean about 15 minutes to do a full tank dump. Plug it in, walk away.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #7  
Here's a couple examples of an inline 12V pump(around $50-60)

CARQUEST or Airtex Electric Inline Fuel Pump E2324: Advance Auto Parts

Mr. Gasket Electric Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump 12D: Advance Auto Parts

And here's a fluid transfer pump that operates by hand I referred to (I never suggested gravity fed)

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

No, I don't get my diesel almost free. I only mentioned the small pump took 5 minutes to pump 12 gallons because 5 minutes outside when its 10 below in winter feels like a long time. Sheesh, lighten up, were only trying to help.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump
I thought it would be simple to find a small 12V pump to transfer diesel.

But a quick check on Amazon shows prices from $15 to $115.

I just want to buy one once.

I'd like it to run off 12V, so I can use my cigarette lighter, doesn't need to be high volume (I can only sneak a 1/2" tube into the tank).

One of the main things I want it for is to near empty my 38 gallon tank so when I go to fill up and use "gas points" I can take advantage of getting 35 gallons with up to a $2.20 discount per gallon (my last tank fill up was $2.199/gallon BEFORE DISCOUNT) SO ESSENTIALLY FREE DIESEL, 35 gallons at a time.

Here's a couple examples of an inline 12V pump(around $50-60)

CARQUEST or Airtex Electric Inline Fuel Pump E2324: Advance Auto Parts

Mr. Gasket Electric Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump 12D: Advance Auto Parts

And here's a fluid transfer pump that operates by hand I referred to (I never suggested gravity fed)

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

No, I don't get my diesel almost free. I only mentioned the small pump took 5 minutes to pump 12 gallons because 5 minutes outside when its 10 below in winter feels like a long time. Sheesh, lighten up, were only trying to help.

George - I appreciate your second response but -
1. Are you recommending either of those links?
Like I wrote prices are all over the place. I thought there would be some TBN'ers who have used small low velocity pumps.

2. Have you EVER used the HF "manual" pump for even a GALLON? I've got two or three kicking around. Use them for sucking out oil for UOA and once taking out about a pint from my TDI to get the level down after a dumb mechanic overfilled during a factory oil change. It's marginally OK if you are starting a siphon but woefully inadequate to pump 10 gallons "uphill".

I'm looking at pumps like:
Amazon.com: 12v Fluid Oil Diesel Extractor + Tubes Truck Rv Boat ATV: Automotive about $20 or
Amazon.com: 12V Gasoline Transfer Pump/Siphon Gastapper (TM) UTV's, Boats, Equipment, Vehicles, Gas, Diesel - search "Gentap" for other models: Automotive for about $100.

And I realize flow rate will be extremely limited due to hose size.

I would like to avoid failures that others like Wagtail have had.

/ need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #9  
George - I appreciate your second response but -
1. Are you recommending either of those links?
Like I wrote prices are all over the place. I thought there would be some TBN'ers who have used small low velocity pumps.

2. Have you EVER used the HF "manual" pump for even a GALLON? I've got two or three kicking around. Use them for sucking out oil for UOA and once taking out about a pint from my TDI to get the level down after a dumb mechanic overfilled during a factory oil change. It's marginally OK if you are starting a siphon but woefully inadequate to pump 10 gallons "uphill".

I'm looking at pumps like:
Amazon.com: 12v Fluid Oil Diesel Extractor + Tubes Truck Rv Boat ATV: Automotive about $20 or
Amazon.com: 12V Gasoline Transfer Pump/Siphon Gastapper (TM) UTV's, Boats, Equipment, Vehicles, Gas, Diesel - search "Gentap" for other models: Automotive for about $100.

And I realize flow rate will be extremely limited due to hose size.

I would like to avoid failures that others like Wagtail have had.

Yes, I have both. The electric pump (1st one I listed) bought from Advance Auto that I power with an spare trailer brake battery. As a regular buyer at Advance I get discount coupons and / or manager discount so my price was under $40. The pump uses 3/8" ID hose.
The manual pump I use for transferring hydraulic oil or any other type oil or fluid. I never used the manual pump for fuel but guess it work transfer fuel easier than oil.

Attachments

• DSCN1333 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1333 (Medium).JPG
    112 KB · Views: 128
   / need recommendation for SMALL 12V fuel "transfer" pump #10