Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or?

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #1  

psychonautbuddy

A coupled of days ago I got an old L1720 loader, I was out giving it a shake down,
and it's motivation started to get mushy & sluggish. I check the trans oil and it was
way down the hole.

Now, I ain't buying no expensive Kabota oil, & I'm not going to travel 100 miles to get it.
What can I pour in there to get me back in business. Something common and easy to find?

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #2  
TSC just had 5 gallon cans of Hyd. oil for $20!! I'm not familiar with your tractor's trans oil. (gear oil or hyd. oil)

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or?
TSC? The price sounds right!
It's an automatic shuttle type of trans. Sorry I did not mention that.

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or?
TSC is too far, 10 stores in my state, 100 miles away.

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #5  
If it has a shuttle transmission, then the proper spec fluid should be used.

David

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #6  
Do you want your tractor to continue to operate properly or you want to ruin it? If you want it to operate properly put an approved fluid in it. If you want to ruin it put some automatic transmission fluid in it. Or you could just urinate in it. Or any water would be fine if you don't have to pee. About anything will work if you don't really care about that tractor.

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #7  
What model is your tractor? L1720 is the loader model number.
It looks like it came on the Kubota L355 (among perhaps other models).
Per TractorData.com Kubota L355 tractor information the L355 was made in the early 1980s and has an 8 speed gear transmission
As such, most any UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) should work. Walmart, Napa, Carquest, Pep Boys, etc, etc, etc all sell a UTF.
I would look and see if you can find one that says that it meets Kubota's UDT standard, Deere's HyGuard (spec JDM-J20), Case MS-1207, Case MS-1209, Case MS-1210 or Caterpillar's TO-2 but any quality UTF should be usable in a tractor of that vintage.
I would NOT use automatic transmission fluid in it as its not really designed for the pressures that a tractor hydraulic system sees and it may not play well with the fluid already in the transmission or that which is stuck in the lines and cylinders.

Aaron Z

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #8  
. Or you could just urinate in it. Or any water would be fine if you don't have to pee. About anything will work if you don't really care about that tractor.

:D. That might be a bit extreme but point well expressed.

OP can check the factory specs and go the Walmart or Auto Parts store and buy the least expensive but compliant fluid.

This would avoid the smell of pee off gassing when the fluid warms up. :D

/ Kabota trans oil, what can I get away with? Ford F transmission fluid, Delco II, or? #9  
The major hint here is he says it is in post #3 "It's an automatic shuttle type of trans".

With having a shuttle shift with wet clutches it will require UDT if not Super UDT or UDT2. Already saying it is sluggish, will probably get worse with ATF.

No need to question here, just sit back and get popcorn while the clutches rip apart.

David

What model is your tractor? L1720 is the loader model number.
It looks like it came on the Kubota L355 (among perhaps other models).
Per TractorData.com Kubota L355 tractor information the L355 was made in the early 1980s and has an 8 speed gear transmission
As such, most any UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) should work. Walmart, Napa, Carquest, Pep Boys, etc, etc, etc all sell a UTF.
Aaron Z

Thank you! Walmart, I have one of those. I found the model plate on the right lower engine, 355SS. I know it's history, and apart from what the factory put in it, it ain't never had anything but generic. Engine oil change every
100 hours.

I never use that extra special lube stuff. I never take my equipment to the dealer. If I want something screwed up, I can do that myself, for free.

Last edited by a moderator: