Grease confusion

/ Grease confusion #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have always used a moly grease on things like pins and bushings on loaders, backhoes, etc. I have always heard that is what is best for that application. I use Deere grease because I like it, it is reasonably priced and is easy to get from my dealer when I am there for other things. Anyway when I go to my Deere dealer (construction not ag) and ask for grease the always come out with a case of the Deere HD moly.

Anyway I was reading my manual for my new skid steer which has a bunch of grease zerks for pins and bushings and nothing else and the manual recommends the Deere polyurea as the first choice and then lists a couple other choices lithium something or another and I can't remember the third but they are all Deere greases and there is not even a mention of the Deere HD moly in the manual. What gives?

/ Grease confusion #2  
JD claims their polyurea is their best. It has EP additives for pins and such and maybe its character of saying in the joint keeps abrasive dirt out. I think what you are using is a good choice and more important than choosing the very best is to use a good product consistently.

prs

/ Grease confusion #3  
Frequent greasing with the "wrong" grease is better than I frequent greasing with the "right" grease by a long shot. As long as the greases aren't incompatible & you grease often, you'll be fine. Grease incompatibility isn't even that big of an issue with open joints as it gets flushed out pretty quick.

Personally I use some of that nasty black molly stuff as molly is a good EP additive. Not as great on high speed bearings though I hear. The molly can build up on the races or rollers or something. No issues with my PTO shafts or flail bearings yet though.

/ Grease confusion
We grease the machines every day when using them all day. That is not the issue. Just wanted to make sure I was using the right stuff. Like I said it has always been moly for me but I can't figure out why it isn't even mentioned as a possible alternative in the manual.

/ Grease confusion #5  
I use Red Moly EP on bushings and what not. Any decent brand I can find.. Last time I pulled the spindles, I hit them with wheel bearing grease :)

/ Grease confusion #6  
I like the John Deere Poly for similar reasons to you. Just for the record I looked and it is compatible with other forms of grease. I like it because like you it is easy to find and I have tried other "uber awesome" greases and they always separated on me where the JD poly didn't. I use it on everything now.

Moly is better for sliding loads but I don't know as it really is that much better these days. I grease often and don't worry about it and have never had an issue.

At least the stuff I have read, they say all John Deere equipment leaves the factory with the poly. Could be manufacturing efficiency as the reason but either way it is good enough for the applications.

/ Grease confusion #8  
Good read. Machinery Lubrication is a good source on oil, grease, and lube information. I have been fond of Schaeffer grease for a while across all my applications. It is aluminum based instead of lithium and uses moly as well. I am not a tribologist and don't play one on TV, so whether what I use is substantively better than another product, I have no solid evidence. It is a good value and I get great results and Schaeffer has a very strong reputation for its grease. I use it on everything from my JD zero turn, my vehicles, tractor loader, on up thru my commercial semi truck. No complaints.

/ Grease confusion #9  
Ever since I've driven Fords, I have used the Valvoline "Ford-Lincoln-Mercury" Moly fortified black grease on everything....except when I repack wheel bearings.

I'm surprised that the JD grease isn't green instead of red?:laughing:

/ Grease confusion #10  
Ever since I've driven Fords, I have used the Valvoline "Ford-Lincoln-Mercury" Moly fortified black grease on everything....except when I repack wheel bearings.

I'm surprised that the JD grease isn't green instead of red?:laughing:
their corn head grease is green!