Save My Back

/ Save My Back #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
So I got tired of lifting 5 gallon diesel fuel cans high enough on a stand to get a siphon action going. Diesel really doesn't taste that bad.:D

Thus I bought a Fillrite 8 gallon 12 volt DC pump. And while at it, I decided to go the extra dollars and buy the model that is also listed to pump gasoline.
Since I store about 30 gallons of gasoline in the winter for emergency auto or generator use, it seems like a good idea. To date I have been recycling the fuel each spring into my truck, but have to stand on a crate and hold the jerry cans for the transfer.

My question is this, the warnings about static sparks and the like as well as the grounding requirements, seem problematic in the real world...using this pump for the gasoline aspect of it.

Can any of you comment on this.....without your lawyer present.:)

Cheers,
Mike

/ Save My Back #2  
As long as the siphon is in contact with the vehicle and the gas can is setting on the ground it shouldn't be a problem. the problem with gas is it create static as it flows so has to have a way to discharge. I have actually had a case there I had a cylinder on a lawnmower that was full of gas, removed the spark plug, and held it in may hand and then grounded the spark plug wire directly the engine to avoid sparks. The gas being forced out of the spark plug hole when the engine was cranked created enough static to ignited the fuel.

/ Save My Back
Thanks Randyt. That's some comfort. I take it that by " siphon is in contact with the vehicle" you mean the discharge nozzle inserted into the gas tank portal....

The OE manual has a major warning........."If pumping from a metal container, the metal end of the suction hose "MUST" be in contact with the metal container for electrical continuity". ... and elsewhere it notes that the "inlet and outlet hoses contain a static discharge wire". Huh-h-h?

Excuse my persistence and confusion, but these requirements seem impractical and not likely for most users. Maybe I'll just keep standing on a crate after all.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Save My Back #5  
I think pumping gas is more of a hazard then diesel, guess that's one plus for diesel fuel. Some people say when you get gas in a jug at the gas station, have to put the jug/can on the ground before filling, because of static. I'm not sure about that but I know in the winter time with the wood stove going, I have to use extreme caution when I get up from couch/office and go to the fridge and open the door for a snack, I have to put my hand on granite counter top first or get one BLANK of a ZAP.

/ Save My Back
So far, it appears that setting a metal gas can on the ground or concrete floor is sufficient for transferring gasoline into another vehicle....be it at home or at a gas station. I suppose that would apply to a plastic one as well. The lady with the wool(?) sweater, sliding in and out of the car must have created a spark at the dispensing handle.

Thanks for U-tube and other comments.

/ Save My Back #7  
Some people say when you get gas in a jug at the gas station, have to put the jug/can on the ground before filling, because of static.

With 4 rubber tires, your vehicle is not grounded to earth. That's why you should fill the jug on the ground, then load back into the vehicle. A pain yes, but much safer.

DEWFPO

/ Save My Back
Let's see how old you all are???? Remember when fuel tankers used to drag a chain and some wheel bearing races jingling with sparks at the end of the tanker. So now, how are they grounded? Just a little side issue....says I.
edit.......in fact, some autos used to have some"strip" that one connected to the underside, that drug the ground.??

Last edited:
   / Save My Back #9  
The filling of fuel cans in the back of the truck didn't really become a problem until plastic and rubber bed liners became popular. No way to ground the can to the vehicle, therefore static buildup.

/ Save My Back #10  
After watching those Youtube vids, I'll continue to fill gas jugs/cans on the ground.