Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can

/ Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #1  

JFoy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I recently added a 2x4 board as an arm on my ROPS to mount a toolbox for my BX25. Having the toolbox is great but it is positioned above the fuel cap so it is definitely harder to fuel up the BX. I really don't use enough fuel to justify a 55gal fuel drum so I get my fuel in the standard 5gal yellow diesel cans. Saw the Terapump TRFA01 on Amazon but a variety of people say the plastic thing doesn't last more than a year. And while there are many 12v systems, I'd be perfectly happy with a rotary crank system. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
JFoy

/ Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #2  
I have this $30 pump on my WISH LIST at Amazon.

Product Description
Siphon-Mate Transfer Pump Safety experts caution against the unsafe practice of siphoning petroleum by mouth, warning specially, that it can result in loss of life. Beckson's answer is the patented Siphon-Mate pump; a combination displacement lift pump and siphon pump with valves suitable for transferring fuel. Pump half strokes to start flow. Once flow begins, fully extending the handle will allow siphoning provided that the source is higher in elevation than the receptacle. U.S. Patent USE FOR: DIESEL, OIL, WATER11-1/2" (28.4cm) LongLIFTS: 4 oz (.12 L) per strokeSupplied with clear tubing to allow versatile application. Cut tubing for desired length of intake and discharge hose. When finished siphoning or pumping flammable liquids, be sure to drain siphon pump of liquid before storing. This pump not intended for transfer of liquid over 120F nor solvents that will attack PVC.

LINK: Amazon.com: Siphon-Mate Pump, Transfer Pump for fuel. oil and water. BEC 1�9PC: Beckson Marine: Automotive

Last edited:
   / Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #3  
Four ounces per stroke ? No thanks. That would be 160 pumps to empty a five gallon can. Not that it would kill you but doesn't seem like a purchase that would really make life easier.

In your situation I would buy something like this Amazon.com: 10-Gallon Aluminum Street/Drift/Strip/Racing Fuel Cell Gas Tank with Level Sender and Black Cap: Automotive and Lund a ball valve and hose on one of the bottom ports and then you could load it in your truck, go fill it, then put it in your loader bucket and raise it up, stick the hose in the tank and open the valve and let gravity do the work.

The particular tank I linked to may not be the best one for this but it illustrates the idea. Something small enough to move by hand when full with a port on the bottom that you can let gravity drain it into your tank.

/ Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #5  
Four ounces per stroke ? No thanks. That would be 160 pumps to empty a five gallon can. Not that it would kill you but doesn't seem like a purchase that would really make life easier.

I think it's only used to start a siphon not pump the whole can.

/ Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #6  
What's wrong with a suitable length of transparent tubing?
Just do a search on Amazon for "plastic tubing fuel transfer"
You can get fancy with "shaker siphons" for $10 to $15 or just by plain tubing buy the foot & suck on one end till you see the fuel coming.

I tend to keep just plain plastic tubes about 6' long wherever I transfer fuel. Use it, hang it up to drain. And keep a piece in the trunks for emergencies.

If you want to "pump" it like Jeff suggested you can get about the same thing jeff suggested at Harbor Freight usually for $7. I keep those around for getting oil samples through the dipstick tube.

/edit - I grew up trained to use a section of garden hose, which wasn't too good because a lot of people would get a mouth of fuel. You couldn't see the fuel coming. We called them a "Kentucky credit card".

/ Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #8  
Shall I start people screaming? I think I'll do that.

A couple of weeks ago I answered a CL ad for a free heating fuel tank. They are all over where I live, and often on CL for cheap or free. I wanted the steel for a project, so free was the right price. Problem was, it still had "maybe as much as 75 gallons of fuel in it", according to the owner. Turns out it was more like 130 gallons.

105 gallons of it was pumped into two 55 gallon drums I brought along, using the owners El Cheapo drill mounted pump. Yeah, one of these:

View attachment 476088

Not recommended, you say? Yeah, I agree, but....

But it worked fine. Powered by a corded Ryobi drill, took about 20 minutes to fill the first 55 drum, so about 2 1/2 - 3 gallons per minute.

I came away with the tank and 105 gallons of nice tractor fuel. Oh, and a filter housing that takes a very inexpensive 10 micron filter. :D

Once I got home I drained the rest, and got about 25 gallons of black stuff (I had taken the filter off). I was going to get rid of that, but I see it's settling nicely, so I may just let it sit and see if it will filter to something usable.

Anyway, one of those powered by some small electric motor might just do for filling tanks. I sure would NOT use this for gasoline! The motor would have to be explosion proof, or you'd blow yourself up pretty quickly.

/ Looking for manual fuel transfer system for 5gal fuel can #9  
I ordered the products below off Amazon and put together a 12v transfer system to use with 5 gal cans. It takes about 10 minutes to empty a 5 gallon can.

Jiale Universal 12V 1.2A Heavy Duty Electric Silver Gas Diesel Fuel Pump Metal In-tank Solid Petrol Pumps Module, CAR BOAT HEAVY DUTY ELECTRIC FUEL PU

WIX Filters - 33972 Heavy Duty Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter, Pack of 1

PRO 1 Fuel Line Hose 5/16 Inch Inside Diameter X 25 Feet Length NRB/PVCC SAE30R6

Valley Industries 33-103233-CSK Wire Harness With Clamps