Mr. Funnel?

/ Mr. Funnel? #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
I've seen Mr. Funnel mentioned several times on the forum, and I'm wondering if I should get one. I will be getting Diesel about 5 gallons at a time so I will not be storing it very long, and I plan to just get it at the local gas station. I don't know if I should be worried about contanimants or water in the fuel or not.

I also understand that using this filter slows down the rate of pour into the tank. Will I need to hold the fuel can up over the tractor for 2 or three minutes to fill the tank or is it faster than that?

Cliff

/ Mr. Funnel? #2  
Cliff:

I got one just for kicks. I got the largest one and the diesel goes through it pretty fast. I don't use a can, I fill from my bulk tank with a power nozzle. My bulk tank has a water seperator/filter on the delivery end. I can't have the nozzle wide open though. The delivery rate is more than the funnel will pass.

I'd think for a 5 gallon can, the funnel will work okay. Just get the big one. I use mine more for gasoline than diesel. The lawnmower and welder are filled from a 5 gallon can. I have trapped some water while filtering gasoline.

/ Mr. Funnel? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Cliff:

I got one just for kicks. I got the largest one and the diesel goes through it pretty fast. I don't use a can, I fill from my bulk tank with a power nozzle. My bulk tank has a water seperator/filter on the delivery end. I can't have the nozzle wide open though. The delivery rate is more than the funnel will pass.

I'd think for a 5 gallon can, the funnel will work okay. Just get the big one. I use mine more for gasoline than diesel. The lawnmower and welder are filled from a 5 gallon can. I have trapped some water while filtering gasoline. )</font>

Does anyone use their Mr. Funnel for both gas and diesel refueling? If so, do you rinse it out before filling with the other fuel or just refuel away?

/ Mr. Funnel? #4  
GerardC:

I never rinsed it out. What would you rinse it with anyway?

I just dump the little bit in the bottom on the weeds (to kill them), shake it out and put it on the shelf.

I recommend the big one. I presume it is a MR.FUNNEL. I wonder if the smaller one is a MRS. FUNNEL?? Along those lines, maybe they should make small ones like for fueling model airplanes, boats and R.C. cars. They could call them BABY FUNNEL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mr. Funnel? #5  
Cliff, my reccomendation is for the medium size (5") Mr. Funnel. That size works well for me and my 4110 when filling from 5 gal. cans. I would have gotten the 8", but was concerned that it would not fit well inside the filling compartment with the lid up. Imagine an 8" funnel (large Mr. Funnel) resting loosely on top of your hood while holding a 5 gal. can with 2 hands, then picture a 5" funnel (medium size) sitting flush on top of the fuel tank opening, leaving you with 2 hands to hold your fuel container. It fits great, and is plenty fast for my needs. Check out Lakeandair.com for the best prices.

/ Mr. Funnel? #6  
Koby

I bought the medium Mr. Funnel from Landandair also. Haven't got to use it yet but did test it.
I wasn't sure which one to get so I'm glad to hear the medium is a good size.

/ Mr. Funnel? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've seen Mr. Funnel mentioned several times on the forum, and I'm wondering if I should get one. )</font> Cliff, I'm one person that has mentioned Mr. Funnel several times. I bought the smallest one because my tank is up on the back of the tractor, and I was afraid that I would have too hard a time holding up the tank at the angle I would need. As long as you don't encounter water in the fuel, it goes through the little funnel pretty fast. Encounter water, as I have, and look out, because it's not going in and you will have to kind of shake it around until all the diesel is in, then dump the water and start again. My problem happened because right after I bought the two 55 gal. drums of red diesel, I had not prepared the inside spot for them. On the tank with the hand pump, the pump doesn't seal out the water really well and we had some rain before I could get the tanks in. I got a good bit of water in the tank. I transfer to the 5 gal. can, then to the tractor through the funnel. Nice to know I'm not getting that water in. I did find some water in the pump diesel from a fuel station as well. Yes, it's a good investment. Not only for the water, but you'll find a lot of trash that doesn't get in either! John

/ Mr. Funnel? #8  
Cliff,

I bought the mid size funnel, it works well, but it will slow down the flow from a 5 gal. container. If I was doing it all over, I'd get the largest size. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mr. Funnel?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I did find some water in the pump diesel from a fuel station as well. Yes, it's a good investment. Not only for the water, but you'll find a lot of trash that doesn't get in either! John )</font>

I guess this is what I was hoping to get opinions on. Is this a solution looking for a problem, or is it really a useful thing to have. Sounds like it depends on how good my local supplier is, which I can't know until I start having problems. I guess it is, as they say, cheap insurance.

Thanks for the help,
Cliff

/ Mr. Funnel? #10  
If you are using diesel fuel from the local filling station I highly recommend that you get and use a Mr Funnel. There is a lot of water condensation at the bottom of large underground diesel storage tanks. When I had my station, my 6,000 gal tank averaged around 4"-6" of water at the bottom (it was electronically monitored).

When I buy diesel now from the service station pump, my Mr Funnel traps anywhere from 1-2 cups of liquid per 5 gal can. If I buy the off road diesel from the supplier's smaller 1000 gallon tank, the Mr Funnel traps less than 1 cup.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.