Biodiesel

/ Biodiesel #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
We have a 1,000 gallon tank at our place we use for filling pickups, tractors, equipment, semi, etc.

The fuel supplier offers B5, B10, B15, and B20. The lowest you can get it is B5 and is what I had the tank filled with but looking at the prices the higher "B" you go the cheaper it is.

I know nothing about the stuff. Should I consider the higher biodiesel percentages? What are the pros and cons.

/ Biodiesel #2  
B20 and under you won't notice a difference at all.

/ Biodiesel #3  
Double check you engine limitations. Some of the older diesel only allow 5%, I myself stay away from the stuff - My 04 ford 6.0 just does not like ir - lower power, poor fuel mileage and jelling easily in the winter. It also seems to attract water more based on my water filter warning light coming on every time I have tried it. My last vacation through Texas I found that Pilot only caries the stuff and several stations were higher than my recommended 5% (like B20 or B25), so I could only partially fill up and fuel again to dilute it.

Just my 02 - some folks love it.

/ Biodiesel #4  
I just checked the JD corporate site. They say - all JD engines can burn biofuel, they recommend B5 but you can go as high as B20.

Personally, I've never been involved with the stuff. Besides, I have no idea if its even available around here.

I would consider what powerscol has to say very seriously.

/ Biodiesel #5  
I go thru over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year, and the majority of it is in the B5-B10 range. Been using the stuff since the turn of the century. Biodiesel is not the same critter with the same issues as ethanol. It does have a higher cloud point than #2, so wintertime, one needs to be a little proactive on fuel gelling issues. And with a older engine fuel system that has not had biodiesel run thru it, there can be a clean out early on that can plug a fuel filter or two before things settle down. A simple 2% blend of biodiesel will provide more lubricity to diesel than anything you can get off the shelf. it also raises cetane a couple of points. It has some very good benefits. As with most anything in life, there are positives and negatives.

I think a lot of people would be shocked to know that the majority of diesel in the country has been spiked with between 2 and 5% biodiesel. EPA does not mandate a sticker on the pump until blend is 5% or more.

/ Biodiesel
We had the tank filled with B5. That is what most the stations around here have at the pump anyway. Seems to work fine. I think I will stay with it instead of trying the higher percentages. The fuel supplier said the B20 can start to cause gelling issues at temps below 40.

/ Biodiesel #7  
I think most of the pumps here are B5 or possibly B10. I burn whatever comes out of the pump without any problems.

/ Biodiesel #8  
In 25 years of driving our 240D and 7 years of a 220D before that, the only time we ever had a fuel filter plug was after using 3 tankfuls of B5 when it came out at Exxon. Never ever had a water issue either.

I occasionally run a tankful of B5 (available still at Shell) in our TDI, just to keep the fuel system cleaned out. The bio will dissolve some crud that has probably accumulated over the years in the very bottom of the tank.

Ralph

/ Biodiesel #10  
Biodiesel is good stuff. I've made thousands of gallons of it.

uploadfromtaptalk1470821559655.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1470821570193.jpg