Ear Wigs Love Diesel

/ Ear Wigs Love Diesel #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
We have more ear wigs than ever before. They sure love to camp around diesel fuel. Went to fill the tractor yesterday and they came crawling out of the fill hos; gave it a crank and about 50 swarmed out. As the tank went dry yesterday while filling up, I opened the fill cap to double check the fuel level and I swear 100 of the little critters came out from around the caps voids. Far as I know none went in the tank. The 10 micron filter will get them. What is more scary is how many have I or my hired hand unknowingly dumped in the tractor tank that were hiding in the hose. Maybe that is the reason for often line filter clogging. I will be flushing the hose first from now on.

Ron

/ Ear Wigs Love Diesel #2  
Hmm....... could be your on the "wet" side. I see a few earwigs here, now & then, but none anywhere near my fuel, nozzle or tractor.

I obviously don't use as much fuel as you. My nozzle is reversed, back into the jerry can, and screwed down tight after each fill up.

/ Ear Wigs Love Diesel #3  
I don't have earwigs here (hate those things!), but we do have other critters that love to cause such problems. I'm looking for one of those tall Rubbermaid tool cabinets (too small to be called a shed) for storing my two 55 gallon drums. Once I find a good used one, it will go on the cinderblock base where I'm already keeping my fuel, and the drums and pump setup will put inside out of the weather. Nice and dry and protected, and I'll hang several urinal cakes (big chunks of mothball!) in there to keep the critters at bay.

We have mason bees and mud wasps around here that will put mud in just about anything if they can get to it. Recessed screw holes, you name it. I even had a chainsaw exhaust port completely packed with the stuff once.