Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions

/ Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions #1  

JeffroL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deutz D4006; Kubota M7060; John Deere 500C
Good Morning, I'm in the process of refurbishing an old diesel tank that's been exposed for 20+ years. Fortunately it looks like it's been painted at least twice in its life and there is only surface rust. I drained the tank (which was nearly empty) of what looked lik a mix of disel and motor oil - yuck. I used a wire brush attachment to scrub off most of the rust, and next weekend I plan to re-paint the tank with POR-15 paint. I have two questions:

1) My grandfather just pumped directly out of the tank and into his machines. No problems for decades. But I'm wondering if a water and fuel filter are appropriate. If so, where does one get something like that? Google shows me lots of options that vastly range in price. A recommendation would be good.

2) Does the tank need a stand? It was previously on a stand that lifted it up 2-3 feet off the ground. I could build one with 4x4s and 2x6s which I have in good supply, but would it be an issue to simply place it on 2x6 boards to keep it a few inches off the gravel? I've relocated the tank to the equipment shed, out of the elements.

Picture of the tank in question should be vieable via the link below, I can't upload photos from my tablet.

Shared album - Jeff Lunglhofer - Google Photos

-Jeff

/ Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions #2  
#1 YES you do need a filter and water separator. Goldenrod has a longtime reputation, I use them and they are reasonable. I get them online along with the mount. I like the spin on canister style Goldenrod 596-5.
#2 If it isn't on a "stand" it still needs to be off the floor. I see no problem with it setting on timbers of some sort.
Por-15 is awesome stuff, just keep in mind that it has no UV protection in it.

/ Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions #3  
Morning,
I would build a stand at least 18"to 24" off the ground, as I'm not sure of your location. Moisture can collect on the ground standing tanks up here in up-state New York in late fall and winter and spring months. That moisture can sweat the fuel tanks which can cause water contamination into the diesel fuel. Now for water filters on diesel fuel TSC stores sell them and are easy to install in line. Or you could use a Mister Fuel Funnel, Home
DevilDog

/ Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions
#1 YES you do need a filter and water separator. Goldenrod has a longtime reputation, I use them and they are reasonable. I get them online along with the mount. I like the spin on canister style Goldenrod 596-5.
#2 If it isn't on a "stand" it still needs to be off the floor. I see no problem with it setting on timbers of some sort.
Por-15 is awesome stuff, just keep in mind that it has no UV protection in it.

Yea, I'll be installing the tank in an equipment shed, it will not be in any sunlight so UV shouldn't be much of an issue. Also no rain or significant moisture but I'll make sure it's 18" off the ground just to be safe. I can make a simple sled style platform. I like the look of the Goldenrod filters, but I don't see a ready-made bracket to hold two of them with an obviously mounting system. I'll keep looking, but Amazon let me down on that. Let me know if you are aware of a good supplier. Gotta get them ordered this week.

-Jeff

/ Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions #5  
I use the golden rod filters. Here, the tanks must be sitting on a reinforced concrete block. I once had a 3/4" board as a shim to get the tank tilted slightly and the driver took that board away prior to delivery. Talk about nit-picking!

I just picked up a set of 3/4 filters with two 3/4 2" nipples to connected them together and then one to the pump. Steel pipe should be strong enough to support itself. I sure hope there are no rules about tanks they will fill. Because if there are I don't know how it was ever filled. Outside on a wooden stand that's mostly rotted away at this point. No way I'm building a concrete stand.

So it took about a solid day of effort over the past two weekends, but the tank has been cleaned out, painted with POR-15 Silver paint, had two filters added, and is mounted on a stand. I put 20 gallons in it to test everything out and it doesn't leak a drop. Pump works perfect. She should be good for another 30 years. POR-15 is simply an AMAZING paint. Very impressive stuff.

-Jeff

View attachment 481347

Question: Do I need footers under those legs? They are 4x6 posts.

/ Refurbished Diesel Farm Tank - Questions #9  
Question: Do I need footers under those legs? They are 4x6 posts.

I would put 4 of these under the legs.

capblock.jpg

Bruce