I'd like to understand grease better.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #11  
I use the "red" usually from O'Reilly Auto just because its convenient. Seems like its a Mystic product marked Hi-Temp, EP, NLGI 2 . So far so good. Now can any of you think of a single goodie that will wash any old gob of old hard grease out of the hidden spaces that every prior owner managed to cram some in? Something that won't take the paint off either, just the old grease. I've tried kerosene, diesel, gasoline, engine degreasers/cleaners, etc. but have avoided the brake cleaners, acetone stuff for fear of removing perfectly good paint.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #12  
--------------------

I'm also on the lookout for a zerk connection to my grease guns that allows easier on and of connection that doesn't rely on push and pull pressure. I've seen pictures of it but never seen one in a store.

This is what I use on a lever gun with a flexible hose: LockNLube | Grease Gun Coupler. Free US Shipping over $25

LNL-Grease-Coupler.png

Some old threads: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/304889-locknlube-cupler-grease-gun.html

The Review thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/307933-review-locknlube-grease-gun-coupler.html

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #13  
A little tidbit for those of you with a John Deere lawn tractor, the bearings in the deck are sealed bearings, the grease in the spindle housings is to prevent moisture from collecting in the housing, it has nothing to do with lubricating the bearings!
I don't know if this is true with any other brands.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #14  
The Lock 'n Lube is overpriced, just the connector costs more than a whole grease gun. The only thing more outrageous is how well it actually works. I love mine. It's a ripoff, but so worth it.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #15  
A little titbit for those of you with a John Deere lawn tractor, the bearings in the deck are sealed bearings, the grease in the spindle housings is to prevent moisture from collecting in the housing, it has nothing to do with lubricating the bearings!
I don't know if this is true with any other brands.

I was not aware of that morsel of information. Ta.

Oh, and 'green' JD grease (in my green JD grease gun) for both of my rigs.

[I'm not touting JD tools... when I bought my tractors I didn't have all of the maintenance tools & they were right there at my dealership so I bought them. Got a 10% 'owners' discount. :)]

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #16  
I too wish I knew more about greases...I love the JD green JD grease for my Deere and the red stuff from Advance Auto seems to work well in both my GMC and the bearings in my utility trailer. The only thing I am concerned about is the how well different brand greases work together. When I last packed the wheel bearings in my UT, I took the extra step of removing ALL the grease in the bearings, spindles, hubs, etc. to be 100% sure the grease I repacked them with would not cause issues by mixing the two. I just purchased a newer UT...it would be so great to learn greases are really compatible. Two newer GM vehicles in our household are sealed suspension and do not require greasing. I am beginning to appreciate that feature.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #17  
What I use... Pretty darn cheap at Ace/Smiths Farm Store too :)

20160924_105609[1].jpg

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #18  
I'm also no expert on grease. I talked to a guy that works at a wheel and bearing store. He pointed me to "Stay plex" made by CRC. It's a red EP grease. I use it on "everything". No problems to report.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #19  
Here is a good compatibility chart:

The Skinny on Grease Compatibility

You will notice the newer type of polyurea (shear stable) and lithium complex soap based are widely agreeable others. There is little, of any need, to worry about it so long as you use one or the other of these consistently. Now, you guys with that green John Deere;s best multi purpose shear stable polyurea can celebrate your good choice. If you are using your grease in high speed bearings, then there is some concern that moly is inappropriate. Moly is an extreme pressure additive that almost always listed as moly, other EP additives are typically listed on the product label as "EP" ir extreme pressure. I am now using John Deere's best multipurpose green myself. It is easy to obtain at dealer or AMAZON and reasonably priced when buying the carton of tubes.

prs

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #20  
my basic grease is John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease - TY24416 about $3.24 a tube

Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex
High-quality protection for wheel bearings, U-joints, and other grease points where lithium grease is recommended.

for the bulk of my needs on this old machinery, I would get by on a lesser grease, as most is old steel on steel bearings, "John Deere Multi-Purpose Lithium Gun Grease - PT507" it is about 2.79 a tube, and for the few cents different I figure the first one listed, was to use for my bulk grease so if I do have u joints or wheel bearings not a problem,

and I keep some of there corn header grease around as well,
"John Deere Special-Purpose Corn Head Gun Grease - AN102562"
a semi liquid grease for gear boxes and other places I have used in some trailer wheel bearings, that get seldom used, so the oil runs back into the bearings, started to use it when I had a corn head, but the grease is great on some things,

and I keep a box of the John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Gun Grease - TY6341 for the high pressure and high temps bearings, but use it seldom, right now I am not sure where the grease gun is I have for it is tho,