Premium or regular unleaded

/ Premium or regular unleaded #1  

bikerzing

Tractor
1970 John Deere 1020
There are probably a million threads on this, but I can't find a single one. I am a new tractor owner and with my small engines I try to use premium (no ethanol) for gas. Is this also true with the gas tractors? I have a 3-cylinder gas in my JD 1020.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #2  
I do the same. My 18 yr old push mower still starts with one push on the primer and one pull on the cord. Only replace the spark plug once a year. Never have touched the carburetor. Pure gas at 93 octane. 87 pure is not available in my area.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #3  
Regular is the way to go.

I was using E10 for years as it was 1 cent cheaper at the pump and 'environmentally friendly'... what a CROCK! I switched to regular and immediately got better 'mileage'. Then I received a new RSL (Australian Veterans Organisation, like your 'Legion') members card that knocked 6 cents off regular petrol @ a specific provider. Woo HOO!

/ Premium or regular unleaded #4  
Unless you can get non-ethanol in premium (and only premium), use regular. Unless an engine is tuned for premium (or has an engine management system that can adjust to premium) regular gas will give as good performance and slightly better fuel economy. Most people don't realize that premium actually has lower energy content than regular. It's only advantage is greater resistance to pre-ignition (knock) which allows it to be used in engines with higher compression and more aggressive timing.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #5  
There are probably a million threads on this, but I can't find a single one. I am a new tractor owner and with my small engines I try to use premium (no ethanol) for gas. Is this also true with the gas tractors? I have a 3-cylinder gas in my JD 1020.

That's a 40+ year old tractor.

It was designed to run on regular, low octane gas. So that's what you should use. If you're worried about ethanol related problems, try and find ethanol free low octane gas. Personally, I've never, ever, had any ethanol related issues in anything I've ever owned, with the only exception being one fuel line in one chainsaw that turned to mush one time. And I can't prove it was the ethanol that did it.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #6  
Regular is the way to go.

I was using E10 for years as it was 1 cent cheaper at the pump and 'environmentally friendly'... what a CROCK! I switched to regular and immediately got better 'mileage'. Then I received a new RSL (Australian Veterans Organisation, like your 'Legion') members card that knocked 6 cents off regular petrol @ a specific provider. Woo HOO!

Around here, E10 IS regular.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #7  
We have regular and premium in both ethanol and non ethanol varieties. Ethanol free gas readily available all around me. I will get ethanol free regular for my smaller engines, simply because I usually fill a drum when I buy gas for my smaller stuff and gets used over time. E10 is not the best fuel for storing over time in a non sealed environment. For my vehicles, it is purely cost per mile. And for that, E15 is the winner right now and has been for a little over a year. E0 regular is 40-50 cents higher than E10 so it is never a value in my vehicles. E15 is 5-10 cents cheaper than E10. I never use premium in anything. Too darn expensive and no value in doing so. But then, I also will never buy a vehicle or engine than requires premium.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #8  
MY first choice would be to put E zero fuel in it, no matter what the octane was!!

I'm running 90 octane E-0 fuel in all of my small gas engines, even my old garden tractors! They run good on it and I'm having NO E related fuel problems.........like I had when I ran E-10 fuel...

SR

/ Premium or regular unleaded #9  
I run ethanol free gas on anything with a carburetor. My boat is fuel injected, but I still try to run ethanol free gas in it because it's prone to sitting. I hear people complaining about the increased cost of ethanol free gas. I gladly pay it. It's a pretty marginal expense given the amount of fuel the the average TBNer is going to burn through carbureted engines.

/ Premium or regular unleaded #10  
I run through about 60 gallons of gas in my tractor each year. 25hp Kohler engine. 15 years. No fuel related problems that I can find, yet. All E10 87 octane. Been running E10 87 octane in everything, cars, trucks, tractor, mowers, chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc... everything, since the mid 80's. ONE (1) fuel line that went gummy in a chainsaw that sat for a long time. 30 years. ONE $1.00 fuel line.