farm use diesel for my acreage... how?

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #1  

megotatractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I've been told that to get tax free diesel I have to buy at least 50 gallons from the local co-op. Any way around that? I have 3.5 acres and a 2210JD. Seems like setting up a bulk fuel tank would be costly. Used to be that truckers could pull up to a certain pump at the truck stop to buy tax free fuel for their refrigerated trailers, did that change, I haven't seen it lately? any suggestions? It would be nice to have a 50 gallon tank for them to fill so I don't have to haul the stinking diesel in my car.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #2  
There are farm related places of business where you can buy diesel fuel without paying road taxes. "Southern States" is a large chain in this area that does that. There is no minimum purchase here though. I don't think you'll find it at the local gas station but I'm not sure how things are in other states. I gotta believe if you call around you can find it. Also call your local heating oil companies and see what you can get through them. That's what I burn in my tractor.

I have a 150 gallon tank on my property and have it delivered. It's the best move I've ever made.

Good Luck.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #3  
funny you should mention it. after many people asked about it my local gas station actually put in a off road diesel pump. what a cost saver that is.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #4  
You should be able to buy any amount you want. At least you can around here.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how?
to clarify; I haven't been able to find any off-road pumps anywhere around here. local ag co-op has no pumps at all.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #6  
Check truck stops.. at least one of our big truck stops has a dyed diesel pump.

Soundguy

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #7  
I see by your profile that you're a truck driver... By that, I guess you've checked the truck stops? Could be that no one around you carries off-road diesel. I don't know the answer.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #8  
There must be a Fuel Oil Company serving your area. If its not in the phone book, ask a local dirt contractor. They buy red fuel. I actually have a 300 gallon minimum, but I can go to the Oil company's place and get one gallon at $1.15 if I want to.

Here is a Google list of Fuel sources in your area.

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #9  
This seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

What would a year's savings be, maybe twenty bucks?

/ farm use diesel for my acreage... how? #10  
I keep my receipts and on my tax return get credit for the road taxes that I paid.