Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it?

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My Toyota Tundra calls for 0W20 or if you have to, 5W20. Normally, I use mostly 0W20 with a couple 5W30 in the blend because I tow with the truck.

On the last oil change, I mistakenly put in 5W30. I guess that would be OK in the summer but I noticed I had really high oil pressure the other day when the engine was still cold and that's when I checked what I put in. I write it down. Maybe 5W30 is a little too thick for winter?

Anyway, should I forget about it or dump it for thinner oil? I don't mean to be excessively puckered up about this but am just asking because I worked very hard for those $$.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #2  
I always thought the 0-20 was for the little import gas sippers to help conserve energy. Had no idea that was recommended in pickups.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it?
I always thought the 0-20 was for the little import gas sippers to help conserve energy. Had no idea that was recommended in pickups.

And it's a 2011 so it's old news.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #4  
And it's a 2011 so it's old news.

Not all of us follow import pickup oil viscosity requirements. Now I know that a prius and tundra take the same oil. LAffin

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #5  
My understanding is the low viscosity numbers were required in order to get fuel economy numbers up. I wouldn't worry about it unless you put in something like straight 40 weight or something drastic.

If you want to see something interesting go to Walmart and look at all the different variations. Mind boggling.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #6  
I wouldn't be concerned. The 5W part is what has an effect when the engine is cold, so it is a little thicker than the 0W. In my opinion, the -30 is good for pretty much anything. I'm petty sure I put 5W-30 in my Corolla.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it?
DeereDude...Hat's off, and a salute, to airborne SF from an older, and at the time, unwilling clerk typist. (I jumped out of my chair once).

Those are guys, along with all Marines, that have earned the respect.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #8  
The reason for the 0W20 is called for in the newer engines is because of the tight engine component tolerances. Using heavier weight oil will limit the flow to critical areas in the engine. I have two vehicles that call for 0W20 and that is all I use...in fact I only use 0W20 synthetic.

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #9  
If the factory recommends 0-20 run 0-20. Drain and refill. If money is tight don't do the filter again since it was just done. Hard to recommend anything other than what the factory says to do.....

/ Put wrong viscosity in my Tundra truck. Forget about it? #10  
If the factory recommends 0-20 run 0-20. Drain and refill. If money is tight don't do the filter again since it was just done. Hard to recommend anything other than what the factory says to do.....

Reading 6 dogs past posts I am sure he is busy changing it out now.:thumbsup::eek: