New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel?

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel?
Thanks Neumann!

I've read good things about Biobor.

Now I just need something for gelling and stabilizing - unless Stanadyne or something will work?

Shouldn't the tank be vented for when it is filled? Won't the tank need to breath some as well with the temperature swings to avoid a pressure build up? The UL label says not to exceed 3 psi I believe.

300 gallon I'm guessing is at 3 years. I'll likely order the minimum (100 or 150) to keep the fuel as fresh as I can.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #22  
Biobor makes several products. They have a product for gelling and stabilizing. I think it's a blue label. I use Amazon but I'm a Prime member so I get "free" shipping. I don't know who else stocks it. The algae treatment will treat over 1200 gallons so that will last a long time and the other will treat over 100 gallons.

Biobor Md Fuel Additives - Products

BTW you will note in the Biobor link says it will "keep" fuel up to two years.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #23  
Here are some things I've learned from having a 550 gal diesel tank for 16 years.

If at all possible put it under a roof of some kind to minimize weathering and rust.

Does your tank have a large plastic plug in the top in case of fire? If so remove it and put pipe dope on the threads because it probably doesn't have any. You should minimize the amount of air going in and out of the tank because that's where the moisture gets in.

The air that goes into the tank should go thru a desiccant canister to remove moisture. I used 2 small check valves so some pressure is required before any air movement, but you don't have to get that fancy.

I just use the diesel in my standby generator and oil furnace in the shop, since my tractors are gas. It's still half full after 16 years and the generator starts right up and runs fine. I don't think diesel has a life limit if it's kept dry.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #24  
As a road generator tech, a lot of our customers use "stabil".
Never had a problem with it and always did the job. I'm not partial to any brand but a majority of our customers have used it. Bio-cide may work just as well, i have never used it.
As far as water issue is concerned at some point you will have water. If you can find a fuel water separator with a clear bowl is easiest to see if you have water at a quick glance. Hopefully there is a drain on bottom of tank that a valve can be installed.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #25  
I wouldn't worry about diesel aging since it really has no low boiling point volatiles like gasoline it will keep for many decades and still run perfectly in your engine.
You do need to put your tank either in a building or at least under cover. Keep all direct sunlight off it and it will lower the condensation factor. I keep mine inside a completely enclosed shed and in over 6 years of use, I have never had any water in the tank.
I have a 100 gal. tank and a 275 gallon TOTE tank that I filled back when the cost went to $1.68 per gallon. I expect that to last me for at least 10 years.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #26  
Gary, that's 37.5 gallons of use per year. :)

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #27  
Yes, it will ungel.

My question, for those that keep fuel for years, is, does the treatment last forever? So if I fill my 300 gallon tank and treat it for temperatures as well as algae, is it good for years without further treatment???

My pea sized brain just can't grasp keeping fuel for years. I don't understand why? Would be kinda like buying 437 cans of fruit cocktail. :)

Can't reply for everyone but I often keep fuel for a couple of years and no problems. Read my post above. I add Stanadyne Performance Formula and have used it for maybe 25 years. No gelling, no problems and no nothing. I actually have two tanks and buy in the late summer, before harvest when prices are the lowest. I found some 3 year old fuel I forgot about once and same with no issues and have been around a long time and never seen algae in fuel either here or in perennially damp northern New England.

On the 437 cans of fruit cocktail, I buy fuel at the lowest price point in the cycle and I figure have saved enough to pay for my electric fuel pumps as well as my second tank. This year, I bought a lot of fuel at $1.69 in summer and it's $2.14 right now. Do the math.

Which leads to one of my favorite quotes and how I managed to get a lot of stuff over the years:

"Men do not realize how great a revenue economy is" Cicero (lived pre-BC)

EDIT--peg your fuel purchases to the price cycle low in late summer. use the saving to take the Mrs. out for a FREE lunch/dinner and to remind her that her foresight helped with the savings. :D If it works, I smell a cab tractor in your future.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #28  
You will need to set up your tank with the drain plug to the low side. It doesn't have to be a radical angle. A couple of degrees off level will suffice. Water will go to the lowest point and can be drained off via the ball valve you want to install. That water/fuel mixture can be used to start fires, just NOT in your wood stove.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #29  
Can't reply for everyone but I often keep fuel for a couple of years and no problems. Read my post above. I add Stanadyne Performance Formula and have used it for maybe 25 years. No gelling, no problems and no nothing. I actually have two tanks and buy in the late summer, before harvest when prices are the lowest. I found some 3 year old fuel I forgot about once and same with no issues and have been around a long time and never seen algae in fuel either here or in perennially damp northern New England.

On the 437 cans of fruit cocktail, I buy fuel at the lowest price point in the cycle and I figure have saved enough to pay for my electric fuel pumps as well as my second tank. This year, I bought a lot of fuel at $1.69 in summer and it's $2.14 right now. Do the math.

Which leads to one of my favorite quotes and how I managed to get a lot of stuff over the years:

"Men do not realize how great a revenue economy is" Cicero (lived pre-BC)

EDIT--peg your fuel purchases to the price cycle low in late summer. use the saving to take the Mrs. out for a FREE lunch/dinner and to remind her that her foresight helped with the savings. :D If it works, I smell a cab tractor in your future.

This debate is kinda like buying a second vehicle because it gets better mileage... a LOT of variables involved in that equation. :)

By the time the necessary equipment is purchased to store fuel, useage needs to be considerable or a lot of time has to be involved to reach the savings point. :)

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #30  
This debate is kinda like buying a second vehicle because it gets better mileage... a LOT of variables involved in that equation. :)

By the time the necessary equipment is purchased to store fuel, useage needs to be considerable or a lot of time has to be involved to reach the savings point. :)

I have a 500 gallon propane tank that I own. A few years ago I bought a second one to be able to buy fuel at the cycle low that is just before harvest. That tank has now, or almost now, paid for itself. Tank is now "free" to me plus I now get a free amount of $$ every year (by buying and storing) instead of standing in line to buy when everyone else does.

This works with everything. My L4300DT was "free" because I used it to landscape and for construction of my new house. Plus I did a couple paying jobs with it so it's not only FREE, but it paid me to buy it. What's not to love? :dog: