New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel?

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
My wife surprised me with a new, 300 gallon fuel tank for Christmas.

I've spent hours on this forum to try and find out how I should treat my fuel...as you all know, everyone has a pro and con against every brand. Perhaps there is something that will work well for my particular situation:

I'll be purchasing off road diesel. I'll have the tank filled and will probably last me 2 - 3 years.
I would like to store the tank in my barn...not sure if I will or not. It would be nice to keep it inside, but it could end up outside. (The barn is not heated)
I live in Northern Ohio and we can get well below 0 in the winters with air temps alone.
I have:
2013 Kubota B3200 - only used in the winter to remove snow if needed.
2014 Kubota F3990 mower. Sits in the winter.

I think my main concern will be to keep water out of the fuel. I want to protect my fuel and my equipment from damage. If you're against any additive, please don't comment...I'm okay spending a few bucks for piece of mind on "snake oil".

I still need to purchase a pump and filter(s) setup. I'd like to run two filters, one being a water separator.

But as you can see, my equipment doesn't get a lot of run time and I want to make sure that come spring, I don't see algae in the tank. I've been using Stanadyne in 5 gallon jugs, but I do not believe that addresses the water issue or algae.

I see Power Service has basically a "summer" and "winter" formula...but since this fuel will sit for awhile and could be used year long, at any time...I'm not sure where to go. The "winter" formula has me concerned since it's designed for cold temps only. Doesn't seem like a good idea to dump it into 300 gallons and see what happens come summer time?

Curious to see what you guys with storage tanks do.

I also have a drain plug. Looks like I need to put a ball valve on there and consider draining some fuel out once and awhile, looking for water. Is teflon tape what I should use, or will the fuel eat it up?

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #2  
I use a bio-cide in mine, I will look it up when I get home, also I put Diesel911 in mine Wal-Mart sells it in 1 gallon jugs. Additionally I purchased the 3 stage filter from HardyDiesel it has 2 sediment filters and a water filter. Never had any issues. I do store mine inside out of caution due to the fluctuating heat in South Florida which causes a lot of condensation in the tank. My pump is from Northern Tool and is a 20Gpm that hooks to 120v in the shop. There is a thread sealant you can pick up from NAPA or your auto parts store I have a small bottle in the shop it has a brush on it and you apply it to the threads like liquid Teflon. I don't contend with cold so I'm no help there.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #3  
If it isn't in the barn I'd definitely place it where it will be in the shade. Stanadyne has products that will serve your purpose and as with any additives you only put in the amount recommended by the manufacturer NO More. I think a ball valve is a good idea I don't have one but have taken out the plug a few times when my tank was low and even after a couple years have never had any water in it.
Two filters won't hurt but why not set it up on a stand and eliminate the pump?
If you use tape for the threads yellow tape is for fuel but I generally use a paste like the last poster.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #4  
I have a tank in the barn and add Stanadyne Performance Formula to it. It's on a roller platform but only rolls when partly empty. I run two filters; a water block and regular filter although just a water lock is enough if it also filters. Very often some fuel will remain for a few years and I have had zero issues over the years. Never an injector problem, never a need to drain the water separator on the tractor and never anything but clean fuel. Barn is not heated.

My tank is near the door and I have a 12V pump on it with a 14' , 3/4" hose on it and a crappy battery nearby for power. I use a Harbor Freight free flashlight when I fill and occasionally spill some anyway. This entire setup works perfect for me and I think would work as well for you.

Nice wife. Take her out for a fancy dinner with a bottle of wine and maybe drop a couple hints on how nice a cab tractor might be. :D

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #5  
My wife surprised me with a new, 300 gallon fuel tank for Christmas.

I've spent hours on this forum to try and find out how I should treat my fuel...as you all know, everyone has a pro and con against every brand. Perhaps there is something that will work well for my particular situation:

I'll be purchasing off road diesel. I'll have the tank filled and will probably last me 2 - 3 years.
I would like to store the tank in my barn...not sure if I will or not. It would be nice to keep it inside, but it could end up outside. (The barn is not heated)
I live in Northern Ohio and we can get well below 0 in the winters with air temps alone.
I have:
2013 Kubota B3200 - only used in the winter to remove snow if needed.
2014 Kubota F3990 mower. Sits in the winter.<snip>

What you need is a diesel 1 ton truck to make use of that fuel storage and run on-road diesel. Maybe some attachments to increase tractor usage. Or maybe a 70hp tractor :)

Treat for algae, water and to prevent gelling.
Do you really run 100 plus gallons of fuel through those two part time engines?

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel?
I thought I read that to only use Diesel911 if needed, since it contains alcohol. i.e. if my fuel gelled.

I wanted to originally get an old tank up on a stand, but the local co-ops will no longer fill them. I believe they had an employee fall and get hurt...and that was the end of that.

Sixdogs - Thanks for the feedback and you are right....I owe the wife now!

Newbury - I doubt I would use 100 gallons in a year, so this is likely a 3 year supply.

Hopefully the water separator will handle any water (an additive can't hurt)
How should I treat (prevent) algae?
I haven't had fuel gel on me in the last 3 years, but when it was super cold, I wasn't outside. If I can treat the fuel to avoid gelling and not effect the fuel for the warmer weather - I'd be glad to hear how!

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #7  
There are 2 types a red bottle and a white bottle (I use the white), the driver that delivers my fuel recommends 1 treatment every time I fill the tank, which is about once every 8 months (Truck, 2x Tractor, Mower, Generator). I have never had any issues with it, and no water issues to date. A bio-cide will prevent algae growth, you can find many brands I don't remember mine at the moment.

I thought I read that to only use Diesel911 if needed, since it contains alcohol. i.e. if my fuel gelled.

I wanted to originally get an old tank up on a stand, but the local co-ops will no longer fill them. I believe they had an employee fall and get hurt...and that was the end of that.

Sixdogs - Thanks for the feedback and you are right....I owe the wife now!

Newbury - I doubt I would use 100 gallons in a year, so this is likely a 3 year supply.

Hopefully the water separator will handle any water (an additive can't hurt)
How should I treat (prevent) algae?
I haven't had fuel gel on me in the last 3 years, but when it was super cold, I wasn't outside. If I can treat the fuel to avoid gelling and not effect the fuel for the warmer weather - I'd be glad to hear how!

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #8  
I dislike winter diesel as it is a drier fuel I can't speak for where you live but here it's not alcohol but kerosene for winter fuel. I've had it in my tank and come summer until it's used up my backhoe has less power on hills & uses more fuel. So I only buy summer fuel and treat it with stanadyne and so far no problems with jelling though the temps. here seldom go below -5 F.

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel?
Billrog - I agree. My Kubota dealer recommended running only summer blends and to stock up in the fall to hold me over for winter if I could.

We don't go past -5 F often. It's usually just a cold snap. Will the fuel "un-gel" if it warms back up?

/ New Storage Tank - How to Protect My Fuel? #10  
Yes, it will ungel.

My question, for those that keep fuel for years, is, does the treatment last forever? So if I fill my 300 gallon tank and treat it for temperatures as well as algae, is it good for years without further treatment???

My pea sized brain just can't grasp keeping fuel for years. I don't understand why? Would be kinda like buying 437 cans of fruit cocktail. :)