Motor Oil University

/ Motor Oil University #1  

Copperhead

Veteran Member
   / Motor Oil University #2  
Hey, guys and gals. There is alway a lot of discussion about oils and most of it is skewed by false information and brand biases. Well there is a updated version of the Motor Oil University available free online for anyone interested. There are many other good articles related to lubrication at this site as well.

Motor Oil 11 - Chapter One - Operating Temperatures and Viscosity - Bob is the Oil Guy

Personal experience is also important. I have a large 98cc V-twin motorcycle. At about 25,000 miles the oil pump shaft broke. I had always used a premium fully synthetic wet sump motor oil in it. Problem was 1/2 of the shaft fell outside the engine, the other half fell inside the case waiting to destroy the engine.

I took it to one of our sponsoring dealers, in Arkansas, from Bakersfield. Very very experienced mechanic who disassembled the engine and split the case, something Yamaha did not want to do. The engine looked new, no signs of wear and absolutely no sludge. It was astounding. The dealer and mechanic were astounded.

The shaft broke because as this model progressed in size and power the oil shaft did not. I was making 90 hp, I forget the torque increase with the mods but it was HUGELY. They were bringing out a killer version of it with a bigger engine and the same mods in place with a new beefier shaft to handle the increase power. Yamaha sent one to the dealer, and I put another 50,000 miles on it. About 3 months after my fix Yamaha recalled the bike, the fix was the one they did in mine.

I really like the synthetics and run them in everything I own.

/ Motor Oil University #6  
Is there anything like motor oil 101 for hydraulic/hydrostatic oils?