coolant change interval

/ coolant change interval #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
so i've got 30k/6 yr on the last coolant change on my honda prelude. temp protection checks out fine. do i need to look at another change soon? thx in advance it's just conventional prestone, not extended life....

/ coolant change interval #2  
I would look at replacing it, if it was me.

I need to 'do' my Jeep and the Kioti both this year. The Kioti has 5 years on regular A-freeze and the Jeep has 6.

/ coolant change interval #3  
I would think its time to change the anti-freeze. There are supposedly anti-corrosive/etc,etc properties in anti-freeze and I don't know how you could check those. Just last year I put 5-year extended life stuff in all my vehicles & tractor.

/ coolant change interval
thanks for replies...kinda figured it is getting time. sometimes hard to say when it tests out ok & seems clear, etc. time to get under the hood with my 3 vehicles & a tractor. thanks again

/ coolant change interval #5  
If you get more than about 0.5V in the coolant relative to B- then you are PAST time to change it!!!!!

The additive packages are consumed over time and the coolant becomes more conductive, which accelerates the electrolysis of the parts :(

/ coolant change interval #6  
I have switched to using Rotella.
I first made the change in my diesels,, but, I am thinking about it for the car,, also.

They claim it is "forever" antifreeze,, if you look at the hour interval change recommendations,,,

Also,, it is "cheap" at TSC,,,

/ coolant change interval #7  
Really has as much to do with what coolant you are using as to what is the best interval. To the OP, I would agree that changing it is prudent. I am rather extreme on my coolant change intervals in that I will not go beyond 3 years in most instances. I have grown real partial to the Heavy Duty red ELC coolants that are designed for some very long intervals in terms of both miles or time, even if I can't get beyond my comfort level of 3 years. I may over time.

I have grown especially fond of the Peak Global Final Charge product. I have used it for many years in my commercial heavy trucks, and it is the fill on everything else I own from my Cadillac CTS, my Silverado 2500, my JD Gator, and my NH compact. I had a discussion with the tech support guys at Peak regarding this, and they designed the product to be a all fleet solution. One world, one coolant philosophy. It has a 1 million mile / 8 yr / 20,000 hour service life. 250,000 mile service life for smaller personal vehicles, but the 8 yr still applies. Eventually I may grow to embrace the longer coolant intervals. I am an old dog and it is hard to change. Even on my commercial stuff, I will go to 500,000 miles or 4 years, but that is all I my comfort level can endure. No proof that it can't go longer.

The Rotella stuff mentioned by CADplans falls into the same similar category as the Peak Final Charge I am using. Delo also has their version of the similar stuff as well. And all the heavy commercial OEM dealerships have house brand versions that are pretty much the same thing also. All of them, including the major name brands, are very cost effective and do a stellar job.

/ coolant change interval #8  
The other way to test is a specific gravity tester. $5 at autozone or any other car place. Tells you how much other stuff, other than water is still in your solution. If your specific gravity is good, your anti freeze is good.

/ coolant change interval #9  
The other way to test is a specific gravity tester. $5 at autozone or any other car place. Tells you how much other stuff, other than water is still in your solution. If your specific gravity is good, your anti freeze is good.

I thought the "little floating ball tester" only tested SG,,, the more balls that sink, the lower the freeze point.
I paid like $2.65 for one the other day,, only one ball floated,, that equated to -25 degree freeze point.

Anyways, I thought the reason to change antifreeze was to renew the anti-corrosion properties,,
the SG, or freeze point will never change??

/ coolant change interval #10  
Well, both points are somewhat correct. The freeze point should be checked periodically, that can give an idea if coolant properties are failing, but there is a strong case to be made about changing out coolant for the various properties it imparts on the engine and water pump. I will check the freeze point on my coolants in spring and fall. But one of the reasons I opted for the Final Charge product was for the improved lubrication of the water pumps. Of course, with my wet sleeved diesels, liner cavitation protection was the major factor I use the stuff.

There is more to testing coolant than freeze point. There are specific test strips that are available for various types of coolants that will show if the levels of protection are still good. Now, those strips are time dated, so they have to be used within a few months of being made and kept in air tight container out of direct sunlight or else they will give false readings.

Lots of trouble for the average use to go thru. It is probably more practical to just change the coolant at specific intervals.