Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
What type of lubricants do you use on your 3 pt. ball sockets and moving parts that do not have grease fittings?

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #2  
Oil. I swivel the balls and drizzle oil into the small space in the "socket".

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #3  
I use white lithium grease for things that don't have fittings for my grease gun.

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #4  
I grease them, oil them, lube them with what ever I have handy when I've done something else. Often just wipe a rag on them from grease I cleaned up.
Keep your balls lubricated, I don't know of anyone that likes frozen balls.

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #5  
Fluid film is great for this. Spray works OK, but I really like the can with brush -- easy to apply to the balls.

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #6  
I like spray wax DRY LUBE, which will not accumulate dust.

Nothing beats Eureka Fluid Film for PTO splines.

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #7  
Just a 'shot' of what's at hand. Usually it's a can of lanolin lubricant; WD40 works just as well as long as it penetrates.

/ Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #8  
if you are at the store, and they offer 1-4 different choices (same manufacture), you do not need high temp, or high RPMS (high revolutions), the cheap stuff.

if your stuff does not have grease zerks. go with fluid film spray on. or like others rag with some grease on it. myself tend to just take the grease gun pump some grease in the area, then use some paper towels to work the grease into the areas.

==========
if you were talking about a finishing mower spindles. then high temp, high revolution grease.
if you were talking about U joints, and drive shafts, then high temp, high revolution grease.
if you were talking about FEL (front end loader), then the cheap stuff of what ever you had.

=========
dust is going to be major issue working into everything. and can act like sand paper. but due to joints do not move at high speeds and have high tempatures. the pins and bushings and like that make up FEL and 3pt hitch. do not get eaten up, and you are more likely to bend something or break something. with that said. long term effects will be different. "loose as a goose" moving 3pt and/or FEL and it "rattles around" due to holes gotten larger, pins have gotten smaller over years of abuse. everything still works, just not real accurately, and makes lots of noise.

Last edited:
   / Lubricating the 3 Point Assembly #10  
I use motorcycle chain lube; goes on as a spray, penetrates everywhere, and then the carrier evaporates leaving the grease