Dirty Fuel Storage Tank

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #1  

ArXane

Bronze Member
I was given this 100gal fuel tank below. It came with an electric pump. Was used for who knows how many years in construction for refilling generators. They got rid of it because they went to the type that goes underneath a toolbox. First thing I did when I got it was drain it as it had about 15 gallons of fuel/liquid in it. Turns out that most was water, I dont think they ever drained the water out of it. I could tell that there was some rust in bottom of the tank. Soooo... I did the following to clean it out.

Drained all old diesel/water out of it, let it dry a couple days
Put 5 gallons of gas in it along with a couple pieces of chain and bunch of old lug nuts
Drove around for a week in the back of the truck to have the bits clean the bottom of the tank
Removed chaing/nuts, drained out fluid and rust bits
But a bunch of dawn soap and filled about half full
Sloshed water around for a few days
Rinsed rinsed rinsed
Been drying in 90* weather for a few days

Here is where im at, Even though Water was coming out pretty clean, when I put a telescoping magnet in the tank im still pulling out a poop ton of fines. With my magnet I have probably pulled out 5 tablespoons worth of these little fine bits.

I have a new filter/water seperater that I am putting on the pump, but not sure if I should trust the tank? Should I just get rid of it? Or, is the filter on the tank and tractor good enough to pull these out? I have a new tractor and the last thing I want to do is dink it up with crap fuel.

Thanks!

tank.jpg
dirt.jpg

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #2  
About the only thing I know to do would be to turn it upside down and flush it with running water. The problem is with the water that it is going to encourage more rust. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and put fuel in it and put a good filter and water separator on it. I'd be real tempted to cycle the fuel through the filter and back into the tank a couple times to help filter the crap out.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #3  
When you install your pump cut the pick up tube about 1" short of reaching the bottom so it won't pick up off the bottom. Your first tank full put the nozzle back in the tank fill and pump it for a little while then change the filter before ever filling your tractor. That will help stir the stuff up and get it in the filter which is its job. I would have no problem using the tank.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #4  
I was given a 125-150 gallon round tank and was rusty inside. I took some clear stone, maybe 3-4 shovel fulls and put inside. I strapped the tank to the forks and shook the starch out of it. That took care of the rust. The stones were easy enough to get out through the 2.5" holes. Then I washed the inside with the pressure washer and then the regular water hose until all the scale and scum came out. Then I put 5 gallons of diesel and sloshed it around again and drained it. Then either I filled it or did another rinse with diesel, I don't remember but it all worked out nice. Of course I put a good filter on the tank after all was done.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #5  
Most tanks are Terne plated to prevent rust. Your rust is probably coming from the top underside of the tank. Inspect the bottom. If no big rust pits I wouldn't worry about that. I think you have done about all you can with the tank perse. Get yourself several filters and be on your way. When the flow slows down, change the filter and repeat as necessary.

On the water part, Goldxxx (forget the name), the popular fuel filter systems found at most ag stores has a water separating filter if you are worried about that but it is an absorbent filter. The regular filter blocks water. Reason being the water molecule is much larger than the petroleum molecule and can't pass through the filter. If you are using the regular Goldxxx system water will show up in your plastic filter container and just drain it out as you see it along with any crud that may have accumulated from the tank.

I cleaned out 2ea 100 gallon saddle tanks on an old Cummins OTR rig with a case of filters. Tanks were filthy. Just filled with fresh diesel and a pt of ATF per tank per fill, got a case of filters. When the Cummins started slowing, pulled over, popped the old, installed the new, cranked right up (Cummins Big Cam was self priming) and was on my way till I had to repeat. Before I went through the case of filters, both tanks were spotless.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank
Thank you for all the suggestions. Running it through the filter and back into the tank is a great suggestion. I will do that.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #7  
I cant tell from the photo if the tank has a bottom drain or not. I have one similar and it doesn't have a bottom drain.
If yours doesn't have a drain, put one on it now while you have it cleaned out. After installing the drain coupling and prior to filling your tank, put a shut off ball valve on the drain. Now you will be able to drain off the water easily that accumulates over time. Use a threaded on both sides valve so that you can put a threaded plug in the downstream side for safety against a leaking valve or someone accidently opening it.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank #8  
If you can't flush the last of the fine stuff out through the filler or a drain, maybe you can flush it to a bottom corner and suck it out with a shop vac.

/ Dirty Fuel Storage Tank
It does have a small 3/8 screw drain in it. I would worry a valve would get busted since im going to be unloading the tank when about 75% full and may break it off, that would suck. Im going to try the shopvac tonight for the final bit of particles before I go the route that others have mentioned and running fuel through the filters and back into the tank. Thanks again for all the suggestions.