Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly.

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #1  

StoneyFF

Tractor
TC35D w/FEL & BH
<font color="blue">OK, Folks...

All this talk about Synthetic vs. Dino oil has me thinking about some things I learned many years ago in college (majored in Mech. Eng. and minored in Automotive Eng. at NC State)...

The only 'pure' Dino oil is single grade (i.e. 30 wt or 40 wt)... All the multi-viscosity (10-30 wt, 5-40 wt, etc.) are partially synthetic... If the oil is 10-30 wt, it's really 10 wt oil that has heat activated polymers that thicken it up as the engine heats up.

Now, in the old days, this was a knock on multi-grade oil, now days, it's just the opposite <grin>... synthetic is better... who knew...
</font>
<font color="maroon">Stoney</font>
<font color="red">{There are two reasons for changing your oil, one is oil breakdown, the other is dirt... there's a lot less dirt in todays engines, and a lot less breakdown in todays oils, especially the fully synthetics... but then again, going back to the Cape Buffalo Repellent Rock... sometimes it's simply a case of 'better safe than sorry'... right?}</font>

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">OK, Folks...

All this talk about Synthetic vs. Dino oil has me thinking about some things I learned many years ago in college (majored in Mech. Eng. and minored in Automotive Eng. at NC State)...

The only 'pure' Dino oil is single grade (i.e. 30 wt or 40 wt)... All the multi-viscosity (10-30 wt, 5-40 wt, etc.) are partially synthetic... If the oil is 10-30 wt, it's really 10 wt oil that has heat activated polymers that thicken it up as the engine heats up.

Now, in the old days, this was a knock on multi-grade oil, now days, it's just the opposite <grin>... synthetic is better... who knew...
</font>
<font color="maroon">Stoney</font>
<font color="red">{There are two reasons for changing your oil, one is oil breakdown, the other is dirt... there's a lot less dirt in todays engines, and a lot less breakdown in todays oils, especially the fully synthetics... but then again, going back to the Cape Buffalo Repellent Rock... sometimes it's simply a case of 'better safe than sorry'... right?}</font> )</font>

No, I don't follow you on this, most modern oil that are thought to be "dino" oil do have man engineered components but these components are petroleum derived whereas the so called "true" synthetics are derived from materials not directly from petroleum but may have a petroleum constituent. Splitting hairs, maybe and maybe not. By the way, oil is not a product of compressed dinosaurs, I know you know that I am sure but many actually do not, heck, some people think the earth is 10,000 years old and that dinsosaurs are a form of evil trickery. J

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #3  
I thought all oil synthetic and Dino were made from oil. The synthetic might be made of things derived oil but it is still made from oil. Right or wrong ? I could be either, but thiat is the way I thought it was.

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #4  
<font color="blue">"some people think the earth is 10,000 years old and that dinsosaurs are a form of evil trickery. J " </font>

Go ahead and burst our bubbles!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought all oil synthetic and Dino were made from oil. The synthetic might be made of things derived oil but it is still made from oil. Right or wrong ? I could be either, but thiat is the way I thought it was.
)</font>

No, not really. If you have a mixture of salt and sugar it is still salt and sugar and still has the original properties of salt and sugar. When these oils are produced they are chemically engineered using esters and other "suff" that may be combined with petroleum derived materials producing a new material with new properties. The court ruling that allows many petroleum drived"synthetics" to be called synthetic vs those that are principly dervied from other materials such as Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil and some others is the thing that confuses everyone and it is confusing. J

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #6  
Technically speaking Synthetic oil is different. My point is that without crude oil we would have no synthetic oil either. Right ?

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #7  
We see your point.. but that wasn't a good anlalogy..

'mixing sugar and salt'.. etc.. as you pointed out is only a mixture... you can't to a straight up comparison between a mixture and a compound, as your next argument indicates about the synthetic having different properties.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....My point is that without crude oil we would have no synthetic oil either. Right ?)</font>

I'm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif by this "?". G

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #9  
When these oils are produced they are chemically engineered using esters and other "suff" that may be combined with petroleum derived materials producing a new material with new properties. The court ruling that allows many petroleum drived"synthetics" to be called synthetic vs those that are principly dervied from other materials

TresCrows:

What do you think the origin of these esters and other "stuff".
Nearly all organic compounds (hydro carbons) have their origin in crude oil. The chemical companies just synthesize the desired compound from the complex hydrocarbons in oil.

Synthetics are simply "man-made" compounds of a particular mollecular structure synthesized from basic hydro carbons that were manufactured from oil.

Gary

/ Just to get us all on the same page, syntheticly. #10  
I will stick with what I said, you are partially correct and I addressed that. I do believe further that my simple anology is a good one though of limited depth on the subject, taking a bit of this and a bit of that and mixing it together does not always produce a material with new properties--a new compound---it is just a mixture with properties of the original ingrediants. Engineered oils such as Amsoil and Redline and Mobil 1 are not simple mixtures of oil but consist of engineered materials SOME drived originally from petroleum with properties different from the original source stock.
Actually I think we are saying much the same thing. Oh, and not everything is a hydrocarbon prodcut including some components of modern lubricants. J