New to diesel - summary?

/ New to diesel - summary? #1  

timb

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 4710/reverser, JD 318 (still needs TLC), JD LT160
Finally getting ready to order my tractor (JD 4710) and it will be the first diesel I've ever owned. At least for most of the next year I won't be putting many hours a month (< 10) on it.

I've read a ton of the old posts on diesel fuel handling here and I'd like opinions if this is a fair and simple summary from most folks experience:

Buy the diesel in small quantities (I'm planning at most 2 or 3 five gallon (plastic) cans).
Don't treat the fuel in the cans with anything.
Fill the tractor using a 'Mr. Funnel' (or equivalent if they exist).
Treat the fuel after it's in the tractor tank with Stanadyne (or Deere's version).
Done deal.

While I tend to be fairly fanatical on vehicle care - does it have to be any more complicated than that? For this year I'm not real worried about saving the minor tax on the few gallons I'll use so I'm just planning to buy on-road - unless the local truck stop which is pretty close has an off-road pump. I haven't looked yet. I figure next year when I have a better feel for my fuel usage I'll see if I want to go to any kind of larger drum/tank and seek out off-road.

Tim

/ New to diesel - summary? #2  
Congrats on the new future purchase!!!!

<font color="red">"Don't treat the fuel in the cans with anything."
</font>

Power Service is mixed with the fuel in my fuel container.
If you don't keep the fuel in the container mixed, it is possible that the nasties can invade the container.
I don't even store my lawn mower gasoline in a container without some type of additive or conditioner mixed with it.

/ New to diesel - summary?
My concern was that any additive that was a dispersing agent would nullify the water-removing properties of the funnel/filter. How fast will algae (or ?) form if the 'storage' container is left untreated in summer?

To be honest the few folks I personally know with CUTs just buy 5 gallons of on-road and dump it straight in. No extra filtering, no treatments, and claim they never have had any problems. I just tend to be a little on the conservative side.

Tim

/ New to diesel - summary? #4  
Timb,

Power service makes an anti-algae formula that you can use. But honestly if you are using the tractor 10 hours a month you will be fine. If anything go out and run it an hour a week. It's the constant sitting that forms the algae. If you run it every now and then you won't have a problem.

/ New to diesel - summary? #5  
cowboydoc,

I need an education in diesel storage and algae prevention.

Your term, "constant sitting," is defined by approximately how much time? a week? two weeks? a month?

If you have a tractor with a 10 gallon tank and you only use 1 gallon a week, then aren't you subjecting the remaining fuel in the tank to "constant sitting," thereby, causing algae to form over the full 10 week period?

What actually causes the algae to form?

Thanks,

bucky4

/ New to diesel - summary? #6  
I've had some of my antique tractors sit for 6 months at at time with a half full tank of diesel and never had a problem. Sometimes they sit outside all winter and don't get started until spring.

The only time I use additives is in the winter, and I use a diesel anti-gel that is available at anyplace that sells diesel. And this year we didn't have a cold winter (no extended sub-zero snaps) so I didn't use any at all with my tractors at home.

My TC24D is probably refueled every other week. My B2910 is probably refueled once a month. The B2910 often sits until I have a project, it then will run through a couple tanks of fuel and sit again. The TC24D is used much more frequently, but for shorter time periods.

/ New to diesel - summary? #8  
I agree with Bob. You will be fine for a couple months. Algae, rather the microbes, will form anywhere there is moisture. It's just a biological product. What causes it to form more is stillness of moisture. That's why you see alot of algae in ponds and such. It's not anything that is specific to diesel fuel.

/ New to diesel - summary? #9  
Here is some more info. from power service.

Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide

Microbes in the form of bacteria and fungus are present in all diesel fuels. Long periods of fuel storage can create ideal opportunities for microbes to grow in fuel tanks. The first indication of microbial contamination is mucous-like accumulations on fuel-filters and increased requirements for fuel-filter replacement. Microbes can only be removed from the fuel system by use of a diesel fuel biocide.

Dual-Phase - effective in both diesel fuel and water as recommended by major diesel engine manufacturers
Effective as a “quick-kill” biocide and for long-term diesel fuel maintenance
Kills microbes (bacteria and fungi) that grow in dispersed and free water associated with diesel fuels
Prevents fuel-filter plugging - helps prevent fuel system failures
Protects fuel system components against organic acids created by microbial growth - prevents fuel tank corrosion
Power Service now offers a complete kit that contains all the products
needed to completely clean a contaminated fuel system.
Does not contain any alcohol of any kind

Part Number
Pack
Shock Treatment
Maintenance Treatment

9016-06 6/1 16-Ounce 320 Gallons 960 Gallons
9041-04 4/1 96-Ounce 2,000 Gallons 6,000 Gallons
9055 55-Gallon Drum 146,300 Gallons 440,000 Gallons

Directions:

Microbial Clean-up Procedures

Microbial clean-ups require the use of Power Service Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide to kill the bacteria and fungus and Power Service Diesel 9·1·1 to remove sludge and water from the fuel system. Use the following procedure to achieve a complete microbial clean-up:

Pump or drain fuel contaminants (microbes, water and sludge) from the bottom of the fuel tank until diesel fuel appears. Dispose of fuel system waste in an environmentally responsible manner.

When calculating the amount of additives required for your specific application, always use the total fuel capacity of the tank (if the total capacity of the tank is 1,000 gallons, but the tank only contains 500 gallons of diesel fuel, you would use enough additive to treat 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel).

• Add one gallon of Diesel 9·1·1 for each 200 gallons of total tank capacity.
Diesel 9·1·1 is available in 32-ounce (Part No. 8025 - treats 50 gallons), 96-ounce (Part No. 8041 - treats 150 gallons) and 55-gallon drums (Part No. 8055 - treats 11,000 gallons).

• Add one 96-ounce of Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide (Part No. 9041) to each 2,000 gallons of total tank capacity.
Bio Kleen is also available in 16-ounce (Part No. 9016 - treats 320 gallons) and 55-gallon drums (Part No. 9055 - treats 146,300 gallons).

Add diesel fuel until fuel tank is filled to maximum capacity. The addition of diesel will mix the additives with the fuel.

To keep storage tanks free of microbial growth, treat with Bio Kleen biocide at the recommended maintenance treatment (see chart below) ratio every three months.

Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide
Treatment Ratios (In Ounces)

BIO KLEEN
SHOCK TREATMENT
(405 ppm)
MAINTENANCE TREATMENT (135 ppm)

1 Ounce
20 Gallons
60 Gallons

8 Ounces
160 Gallons
480 Gallons

16 Ounces (1 pint)
320 Gallons
960 Gallons

24 Ounces
480 Gallons
1,440 Gallons

32 Ounces (1 quart)
660 Gallons
2,000 Gallons

96 Ounces (3 quarts)
2,000 Gallons
6,000 Gallons

128 Ounces (1 gallon)
2,660 Gallons
8,000 Gallons

55-Gallon Drum
146,300 Gallons
440,000 Gallons

/ New to diesel - summary? #10  
Great info. Looks like you've got all the quantities covered. If I have a swimming pool filled with diesel, no problem; I've got the ratio down pat!!!! LOL, just kidding. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks again.

bucky4