Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I may have accidentally discovered something using Seafoam additive and ethanol gasoline fuel problems.

First, my farm truck wouldn't stay running this spring-- 1967 F600, 6cyl--despite Stabil in the fall and running it out of fuel. A couple hours effort, fresh fuel and no dice. Anyway, in exasperation I just poured some Seafoam in the carb, closed the choke and came back the next day. It started right up and ran a little rough for a while but I'm good to go. I put a can and a half of Seafoam in the tank and it's off to the races for me. Not perfect yet but almost.

Encouraged by that, I poured some Seafoam in the tank of my weedwacker that wouldn't start right or run right and let it sit overnight. Ran rough the next day but it ran and it's getting better. I put some Seafoam in the tank along with some no-ethanol gas and I think all will be OK.

Probably everyone already knows this but it's news to me and I just wanted to pass it along, just in case.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #2  
After reading up on sea foam a few years back I was surprised that it's made up of assorted solvents. i too have left it sit in a few carbs overnight and had some luck. It simply unclogs jets and orifices over time. While I would't use it on every tank, It has helped me straighten motors out in the past. I've had the best luck with it on the smaller 4 cycle engines.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues.
Well, whatever it is, it works. I think repair shops know this but are reluctant to let it out and damage their business. Seafoam puts the ethanol and varnish issue in a little different light.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #4  
To prevent this issue from the start, I have the best luck with StarTron Enzyme Stabilizer. Works like magic. Ethanol changes gasoline within 19 days I read. Since I started using StarTron recommended by my dad, I've had no issues. I use gasoline very little, so 5 gallons may sit here for 12 months. Well over a year in a power tool tank. If I use Stabil or Seafoam, the gas smells like turpentine by then. Not with StarTron. My dad has had the same tank of gas in his project Jeep for close to 7 years, and that 350 V-8 starts and runs like a champ every time with the StarTron. One bottle treats like 250 gallons.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #5  
To prevent this issue from the start, I have the best luck with StarTron Enzyme Stabilizer. Works like magic. Ethanol changes gasoline within 19 days I read. Since I started using StarTron recommended by my dad, I've had no issues. I use gasoline very little, so 5 gallons may sit here for 12 months. Well over a year in a power tool tank. If I use Stabil or Seafoam, the gas smells like turpentine by then. Not with StarTron. My dad has had the same tank of gas in his project Jeep for close to 7 years, and that 350 V-8 starts and runs like a champ every time with the StarTron. One bottle treats like 250 gallons.

Have used StarTron now for 3 years. Zero issues since starting. Before using startron I had to replace fuel lines on regular basis on 2 stroke engines and lawn mowers, fuel lines would turn to mush. no fuel lines replaced since using this additive.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #6  
I haven't tried the direct approach and added it to the carb, but I have added it to the fuel on engines that run a little rough and have had it help over time.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues.

Have used StarTron now for 3 years. Zero issues since starting. Before using startron I had to replace fuel lines on regular basis on 2 stroke engines and lawn mowers, fuel lines would turn to mush. no fuel lines replaced since using this additive.

Where do you get this "Star Tron" and does it come in different size containers? Are there different blends or varieties or just one item?

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #8  
Where do you get this "Star Tron" and does it come in different size containers? Are there different blends or varieties or just one item?

Started out buying it at my local Walmart in the boating section near the outboard motor oil. They have 8 ounce bottles of the strong concentration for around $10.00 Treats 128 gallons. Other places have it in bottles that treat 48 gallons for around $6 such as Tractor Supply. Now buying it on ebay in 32 ounce bottles that treats 512 gallons for around $24.00 delivered.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #9  
I too saw Startron in the sporting goods section of WM, both gas and diesel. I was using Sea Foam in my 2 stroker OB and used the diesel ST for my tractors for a brief period. Then it disappeared from WM shelves and I went to Power Services products for my diesels. I too have revived engines with fuel problems with SF without having to do major tear downs. I always have a goodly supply on hand. I believe in ST enzyme ads as enzymes are what needs enzymes to attack in the diesel-water solution in storage tanks.....the algae. I don't know how effective it is with cleaning injectors. Don't know what needs attacking in gas storage.

Sea Foam, to answer that question, is made of Naptha, light Mineral Oil, and Alcohol per the MSDS posted online. The same formula in the 16 oz can is available in the spray can and now they have added a new product to compete with penetrating oils. Haven't looked up the MSDS on it and noticed it's more of a foam rather than a liquid.

/ Ethanol gas, Seafoam additive and storage or starting issues. #10  
I just quit buying E fuel, all the problems went away!

SR