Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I have a Lincoln 1142 lever action grease gun that worked well for a couple of years and maybe five or six tubes of grease. No trouble priming until this Spring when I tried to put in a new cartridge. Couldn't get it to prime. Thought the problem was lack of air relief valve so added one of those spring loaded valves. No joy.

I do know how to load a grease tube and followed both the awful Lincoln instructions as well as those on a couple of YouTube videos. Tried both traditional method of pumping new cartridge before tightening body to head and also using air relief valve. Air relief valve didn't work at all and is now packed with grease.

The follower shaft seal on these things is known to fail but mine looks ok and is only 2 years old.

I've now wasted a couple of cartridges and a roll of paper towels.

Any ideas? I've ordered an Alemite 500 replacement already but could still make use of the Lincoln if I can get it to prime.

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #2  
You might try thumping it several times all around with a rubber mallet etc...I have a gun that does the same thing...

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime
You might try thumping it several times all around with a rubber mallet etc...I have a gun that does the same thing...

Nothing to lose. I'll try thumping. I've already tried swinging it and tapping it on the workbench with no joy but I'll give it a few mallet whacks too.

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #4  
I know this will sound stupid...but try taking the tip off and then priming the gun. I've had one "air lock" and it miraculously started working when I pulled the tip off.

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #5  
My pneumatic gun wont self prime either when I replace the cartridge. I have to remove the hose right at the gun and then it will start pumping. It is o-ring sealed so it is always just hand tight so not much of an issue. I don't know why it wont prime with the hose and nozzle attached. I guess it is just too much pressure for it to overcome with the air lock inside. Now I just automatically remove the hose everytime I replace the grease cartridge.

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #6  
My pneumatic gun wont self prime either when I replace the cartridge. I have to remove the hose right at the gun and then it will start pumping. It is o-ring sealed so it is always just hand tight so not much of an issue. I don't know why it wont prime with the hose and nozzle attached. I guess it is just too much pressure for it to overcome with the air lock inside. Now I just automatically remove the hose everytime I replace the grease cartridge.

I had the prime problem appear this weekend with a new pneumatic gun. I'm going to try your trick when I get home tonight. Thanks!

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime
I know this will sound stupid...but try taking the tip off and then priming the gun. I've had one "air lock" and it miraculously started working when I pulled the tip off.

I do have a LocNLube tip on it but it's been there from the beginning. I'll remove it an try again.

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #8  
Pull the handle out and turn it 'till you can feel it lock to the plunger (not the end cap) either remove the bleed screw or pump it while pushing the handle down on the bench putting some pressure on the grease to flow out. A bit messy but it works, least ways it does for mine when the get ornery and won't prime......Mike

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #9  
Now at least I don't feel like the only one who has such crazy problems!

/ Lincoln 1142 grease gun won't prime #10  
Nothing to lose. I'll try thumping. I've already tried swinging it and tapping it on the workbench with no joy but I'll give it a few mallet whacks too.

And, it that does not work, get a bigger hammer. ;-)

prs