Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
Is it all just marketing or is there a difference?

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #2  
I'll chime in with my opinion. I have no doubt that synthetic oils today are good for extended oil changes. 15 years ago or so I started following my GM oil minder on my Cadillacs and Buicks. Most of the time those calibrated oil minders would run at about 6000 to 6500 miles before suggesting an oil change. I ran regular oil. I put 190K on one of the Cadillacs, 225K on a Northstar, and 220K on a 3.8L Buick V6. No engine related problems in that timeframe other than valve cover gaskets. The Cadillacs would burn about a quart and a half between changed. The Buick would burn a quart.

I personally don't trust 10K to 15K oil change intervals in cars but that's just an opinion. I would guess that you would need to add some oil between changes thus adding back depleted additives that prolong engine life.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #4  
I began with Castro synthetic about 1990 in Ford Bronco II and Dodge Dakota. Sold the Dakota just over 100,000 miles the Bronco I am sure over 100,000 then Nissan Maxim and Dodge 1500 but Dodge was totaled about 60,000 miles and the Maxim little over 100,000 I think. Replaced both of those with Toyota, Avalon and Tundra. Sold the Tundra about 125,000 miles and the Avalon about 220,000. When Castro changed their oil we went to Mobile One and we have never had any issue with engine in any vehicle. From first oil change went to 10,000 mile oil changes. With the Bronco had a pressure valve to stick open per mechanic cause oil pressure to drop to would not register on gauge and had valve clatter. Per mechanic no damage done as oil was being pumped but with of course not into all areas due to pressure drop. I credit no damage due to the Castro synthetic.
Have move to synthetic to even lawn mowers.

When I changed from Castro regular oil (do not remember the label but was their top regular oil I saw my mile per gallon in each vehicle increase. Could only mean the engine does not need as much fuel to turn the engine over. To me that means better lubrication. Nephew change to Synthetic in his Ford F350 (it was the International engine early 1990) based upon my recommendation and after a while he asked me if it made sense for the engine to run cooler with only the oil change. Yes it does if it helps the engine turn over easier so less heating is taking place so running cooler. I help drive that truck on about a 1,000 mile trip and knew it had tendency to run hot when really loaded. My memory that solved or at least help a good bit.

Yes I am a believer in Mobile One but believe there are others. Looking at the cars that come with Mobile One in them (high performance) speaks to me about their belief or is Mobile buying them off? Maybe. With the increase in gas mileage and with the 10,000 oil changes find the cost is about same as regular 5,000 mile changes.

Now if you have an engine using oil, no idea what you may find with the synthetic oil.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic
Maybe I should clarify my question. I have used Mobil 1 for years. Have been using the 15000 mile oil, changing every 10000 miles, without incident, all vehicles driven over 100000 miles. Since they recently came out with the guaranteed for a year oil, within mileage parameters, I have been thinking. There's a fairly significant price differential in the three products. I'm just wondering if there is much of a difference in actual performance. In other words, are you getting much extra with the premium priced Mobil 1 products?

Along those same lines, Mobil 1 seems to be premium priced among all synthetic oil products out there. I suspect Mobil 1 is no better than Castrol, Penzoil, etc. What say ye?

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #6  
I run Amsoil in my vehicles and tractor. Is it any better? Maybe in some kinds of oils, maybe not in others. Probably the same with Mobil 1. You can spend hours reading about oil, oil filters and air filters. There are some oils that are better than others, but they change them on occasion so its tough to say one is always better than another.

I suspect, but have no actual knowledge, the additive package in the higher priced Mobil oils is better but who knows.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #7  
Oil intervals are dictated by 2 factors, mechanical needs and marketing needs. The 10,000 miles interval is a marketing need backed-up by mechanical info not to exceed this mileage, but this is also under ideal conditions, something most of us do not qualify for. Much better and cheaper in the long run to not exceed 6,500-7,000 miles even with synthetics.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #8  
Oil intervals are dictated by 2 factors, mechanical needs and marketing needs. The 10,000 miles interval is a marketing need backed-up by mechanical info not to exceed this mileage, but this is also under ideal conditions, something most of us do not qualify for. Much better and cheaper in the long run to not exceed 6,500-7,000 miles even with synthetics.
I would think that the change times would be based on average not ideal conditions. The average driver drives on highway and does not tow trailers etc. Working your vehicle in dirt, dust and towing all the time certainly reduces the change times.

I just change mine when the computer tells me to since all my driving is on highway and practically no towing. My info from the dealer says that the computer is programed for regular oil, not synthetic, so by using synthetic and changing when the computer tells me to (usually about 7500 miles) I just change when the engine tells me to change and don't worry about the mileage OR time intervals. It mostly takes me about 18 months to reach the mileage limit. I don't have a problem with the "yearly change" since I put in Shell Rotella T6 and run till the computer tells me to change. None of my vehicles use any oil between changes but my highest mileage vehicle is my 2003 Olds Bravada with 115,000 miles.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #9  
just an uneducated thought. lots of variables in deciding on engine oil change intervals even w/synthetic. one variable not yet discussed is the current condition of the engine. if it's getting worn, contaminants between changes are more of an issue than a newer or tighter engine.

so maybe change more often on a higher mileage engine despite synthetic use. make sense? well, i've been wrong many times before.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #10  
For the last couple years I've been monitoring my oil using oil analysis by black stone and Oil Analyzers Inc. I was doing the analyses per interval. This was on my 3.0 V6 diesel. What I found was that after 18,000kms with Amsoil the oil was still in great shape. Mobil 1 started to show signs of oxidation at 12,000 but was still in good shape. MB oil performed comparably to the Amsoil.