Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cat-426/Cubcadet-22hp

Default Cummins (or other) oil pump priming during assembly

The book says to fill the oil pump with oil before installation ...or else. Ok, I get the message and it makes a lot of sense too.

The thing is that even if I do fill it the engine will be rotated every which way a hundred times before I ever get near that first start.

There's gotta be a better way, like pumping the pump full just before first start somehow.
    If DIY were a religion ....hmmm, I just made it one
    links applicable to my snow-blower project:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zsgvwMYn0N0
    http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/tinkerings.html
    [click "?/In the oven: blower #2", or "Hydraulics-Calculator"]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged

Default Re: Cummins (or other) oil pump priming during assembly

When I did major work on my 99 CTD I purchased an oil pump on eBay. I then removed the drive gear and ground 3 flats on the shaft so I could turn it with my 1/2 inch drill.
    Worked slick.
    90cummins

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2540

It is not unheard of to pull a gallery plug (or perhaps an oil pressure gauge) and plumb in some oil before starting an engine to get the system primed. On many V-8 engines you can simply spin the oil pump with an extension rod (it's driven by the distributor).

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cat-426/Cubcadet-22hp

Ok, the book: "Failure to fill the pump with oil during installation can result in a slow prime at intial engine start-up, resulting in severe engine damage". First I misread this thinking pump-damage and not engine-damage. The engine I'm not worried about, everything is pre oiled and I would expect to see pressure while cranking long before any real start attempt. But I think pressurised pre-lubrfication __IS__ the way to go. So, if I plug a pressurised source into a gallery outlet, will that fill the PUMP with reverse flow? I once saw a guy hang a gallon of oil high above the engine, didn't pay attention then, I figure he was doing the same thing with gravity feed just before a start.

Anyway the bit in the book makes no sense because oil in the pump will be long drained out before a start, or so I fear not to mentin the fact that I would have to stand the engine on its rear to fill the pump and be able to install it full of oil.
    If DIY were a religion ....hmmm, I just made it one
    links applicable to my snow-blower project:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zsgvwMYn0N0
    http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/tinkerings.html
    [click "?/In the oven: blower #2", or "Hydraulics-Calculator"]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245

Quote Originally Posted by CincyFlyer View Post
    It is not unheard of to pull a gallery plug (or perhaps an oil pressure gauge) and plumb in some oil before starting an engine to get the system primed..
    I did this once. Never again! It could be that I did something wrong but the oil system air locked and I had to relieve pressure before the oil pump would prime. I can see using gravity to prime the oil system but I was told to use air so I did.

Now I alway turn the oil pump to prime the oil system before starting. At the very minimum I would fill the oil pump with oil and turn it by hand a few times before installing it.

Tractor
    Landini 6860

Here is my take on it.
    A completely dry oil pump may not be able to prime itself, filling with oil even after it drains off will leave an oil residue that will seal clearances within the pump. Helping it self prime instantly on initial startup.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2540

Quote Originally Posted by pmsmechanic View Post
    I did this once. Never again! It could be that I did something wrong but the oil system air locked and I had to relieve pressure before the oil pump would prime. I can see using gravity to prime the oil system but I was told to use air so I did.

Now I alway turn the oil pump to prime the oil system before starting. At the very minimum I would fill the oil pump with oil and turn it by hand a few times before installing it.
    I actual meant to introduce oil under pressure through the chosen port; no air is involved!

Tractor
    2009 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 D

Some folks pack the oil pumps with petroleum jelly to get rid of air and get a quick prime. The vaseline would melt into the oil pretty quickly and not cause a problem. It sure beat trying to build pressure in a sleeping engine, especially a diesel.

DEWFPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket, Titan HD 48" Pallet Forks

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

Platinum Member

I resurrected a 4BT out of a generator that had set for about 5 years. I just disable the start solenoid and cranked it over until I had oil pressure.

Tractor
    MF gc1710, Cat 305C

Quote Originally Posted by DEWFPO View Post
    Some folks pack the oil pumps with petroleum jelly to get rid of air and get a quick prime. The vaseline would melt into the oil pretty quickly and not cause a problem. It sure beat trying to build pressure in a sleeping engine, especially a diesel.

DEWFPO
    This is what you should do. It's pretty common practice to put vasoline in the oil pump prior to assembly. Then you should have no worries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast