Hiway diesel color?

/ Hiway diesel color? #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
Just need a little reassurance here.

I have always filled my transfer tank with on-road diesel. The tank has a clear hose. The diesel has always been a dirty lime-green color (with no after market additives). I have filled at several gas stations over the years.

The last time I filled up I went to a new station. Just started to fill my tractor up today and the fuel came out tinted red! I stopped the pump before much got into the tank but now what?

This diesel was from a truck stop pump and was definitely not off-road diesel. (I think that is dyed?).

As far as I can tell it smells like diesel but it's in my diesel transfer tank. Is this a common color for diesel that I just haven't seen yet? How can I confirm it is diesel?

Thanks!

/ Hiway diesel color? #2  
Just need a little reassurance here.

I have always filled my transfer tank with on-road diesel. The tank has a clear hose. The diesel has always been a dirty lime-green color (with no after market additives). I have filled at several gas stations over the years.

The last time I filled up I went to a new station. Just started to fill my tractor up today and the fuel came out tinted red! I stopped the pump before much got into the tank but now what?

This diesel was from a truck stop pump and was definitely not off-road diesel. (I think that is dyed?).

As far as I can tell it smells like diesel but it's in my diesel transfer tank. Is this a common color for diesel that I just haven't seen yet? How can I confirm it is diesel?

Thanks!

I call it ruby red. Real pretty color. If it's red at all, it has had some dye in it. There is no difference between on road/off road other than the dye. I could keep the receipts and run it as needed. Maybe call the gas station and ask. Could've been a dyed tank in the truck was filled with on road by accident. There are far bigger things to worry about that a little tint though. On road is almost clear all the way to a near Mountain Dew color

Brett

/ Hiway diesel color?
Ok. Thanks. I am not worried about running off-road in my tractor. I just want to to be dang sure it's not gasoline or a gas-diesel mix.

/ Hiway diesel color? #4  
Ok. Thanks. I am not worried about running off-road in my tractor. I just want to to be dang sure it's not gasoline or a gas-diesel mix.

You would smell the gasoline. I think someone had a whoops with the tanks. Only way I would think to tell if there is some gas in it would be to light some on fire. Burn confirmed diesel and compare it to the mix in your slip tank. Obviously a bad idea and dangerous but I don't know how else to tell besides that and smell

Brett

/ Hiway diesel color? #5  
Red is the color for off road - the station got a load in the wrong tank!

No issues for you motor but State trooper carry a dip stick to check for OR diesel. If the see red on your on road truck your wallet will lose a lot of green!

/ Hiway diesel color? #6  
Red is the color for off road - the station got a load in the wrong tank!

No issues for you motor but State trooper carry a dip stick to check for OR diesel. If the see red on your on road truck your wallet will lose a lot of green!
X2 on that. I would for sure notify that station. Folks who are filling their on road equipment stand a good chance of getting fined for using off road diesel. The station should notify each customer of the mistake and provide a cert that the diesel is on road. That red dye will stay in the tank for a loooong time even when diluted several times with fill ups.
I don't know if it really was a mistake or if the station is getting out of paying the taxes on the fuel (I don't know if it is the distributor or the end dispenser that pays the tax to the state/Fed when distributed to a gas station, but for home use, the distributor adds the tax at point of sale).

/ Hiway diesel color? #7  
Red dye is added to off-road diesel (home heating oil & presumably off-road gas, if there is such a thing) to indicate road taxes were not paid on that fuel. That's the only difference.

It's perfectly fine to run in any diesel engine. However if the man finds you with red fuel in your tank or a stained fuel filter on a licensed road going vehicle they go after you for tax evasion.

As others have noted save that reciept & contact the gas station that sold it, they have a big problem if it didn't come out of an off-road labeled & taxed pump. Might not even be a bad idea to contact your local DOT (Department of Transportation) as a CYA measure if you still have the reciept or any other proof.

Edit: I wouldn't worth about CYA stuff & DOT if you are just dumping it in your tractor. May want to let them know as a courtesy or if you want to make life difficult for that gas station for their screwup.

I only run red off-road diesel in my machines. Get it delivered 300 gallons at a time in the fall. No road taxes & bulk discount pay for the delivery cost. I'm likely to switch to undyed road diesel though as I'll be getting a diesel truck. Probably take a tank to wash the red dye out. If you track your usage of road diesel in a off-road machine you can get the tax refund on your taxes at the end of the year.

/ Hiway diesel color? #8  
Our local truck stop has always carried ON and OFF road diesel, even tho the station has changed names several times. Flying J now. I'm not a trucker so don't know for sure but, isn't off road used in the refers? The pumps are very obviously marked, but sit side by side.

/ Hiway diesel color? #9  
Our local truck stop has always carried ON and OFF road diesel, even tho the station has changed names several times. Flying J now. I'm not a trucker so don't know for sure but, isn't off road used in the refers? The pumps are very obviously marked, but sit side by side.

I believe you can run red in the refers and apu for running the A/c when parked. When I get bulk def. the pump runs thru all the prompts asking if I want refer fuel etc. I have never tried it and don't know what the difference is. It has one hose for diesel and one fro def

Brett

/ Hiway diesel color?
If I mix a little gasoline with diesel in a jar they should separate correct?