Gear oil question

/ Gear oil question #1  

bluefin650

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650, JD 35D
I have an older snowblower. The manual calls for 85w-90 in the gear box. Is there any reason why I couldn't use 75w-90 full synthetic as I have some on hand?

Thanks

/ Gear oil question #2  
The synthetic 75W - 90 would work just fine.

/ Gear oil question #3  
If not better....

/ Gear oil question #4  
Really just about any lube will work. Kubota specs gear oil OR hydraulic fluid for their font axles. Lots of people put grease (usually a pourable grease like JD cornhead grease) in old worn gearboxes rather than replacing worn seals. I did that in my old beat to **** flail mower gearbox.

/ Gear oil question #5  
+1 on all the above, BTDT in gearboxes. On teg's "if not better", check the fill drain requirements in owners manuals on newer GM (to name one) trucks.....gonna bet you they are using syn. or syn. blends. I know they are using Syn in the engine as the Delos rating was on some semi-syn oils and now is on Mobil 1. My owner's manual on a 2011 doesn't list fluid changes in the owners manual for tranny nor differential out past 100k miles.

/ Gear oil question #6  
I use lower unit outboard lube in mine. I always have plenty of that since I have 4 outboards.

/ Gear oil question #7  
I have an older snowblower. The manual calls for 85w-90 in the gear box. Is there any reason why I couldn't use 75w-90 full synthetic as I have some on hand?

Thanks

In fact I would suggest that you *should*.