Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #1  

thekidb

Tractor
Branson 2800h
Recently completed a HST fluid and filter change on my Branson 2800h. Dealer used Service Pro Hyd/Trans fluid at 50 hour service, and HST ran smoothly and quiet. I had the remaining portion of that fluid to use on the most recent change (about 200 hours), but came up about 1 gallon short and used the Tractor Supply Premium. Since the weather cooled off some, my tractor has gotten "whiny". The HST pump whines more at startup when cold and makes more noise during use. I had read about varying results with the TSC fluid and suspected that might be the culprit.

So....I bit the bullet and bought a bucket of Kubota Super UDT2. Drained what I could out of the tractor and replaced it with the Super UDT2. I could tell a difference immediately.

The filters (hydraulic and HST) were warm after the tractor was driven from the barn to the garage before the change. Basically, about 5 minute warmup and a 2 minute drive downhill. After the fluid change, the filters were noticeably cooler.........even after driving around for 15 minutes or so. Noise was way less and engine RPMs at idle were slightly up. You could just tell that the whole system was smoother. By the way, it was 29F outside, so the lower viscosity synthetic really helped here. The old oil was very thick....almost like syrup. Tractor would lose 2-300 RPM when HST pump was engaged during cold weather startup. You could tell the oil was heavy.

No way I will ever put a non-synthetic HST fluid in my machine again. It's more expensive, but I only change the fluid every 3-4 years.

I understand that many use the TSC fluid with no problems, but I wanted to share my experiences so others can have a data point for reference in the future.

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #2  
It's amazing how much of a difference it can make, and I have generally only heard good things about SUDT2 in tractors, especially HST machines.

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #3  
My New Holland had some unknown fluid in it when I bought it. Lifting the three point in below freezing weather was slow and caused squealing. I swapped the fluid for SUDT2, and it made an immediate difference.

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #4  
The parts store I sell for has Service Pro products.
The Hytrans fluid meets Kubota UDT and SUDT specs-not SUDT2
I tell them and they've been pleased with the Service Pro fluid,about $40 a pail.
My B3030 is running 80/20 SUDT/SUDT2 with no difference in noise or performance.

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #5  
My New Holland had some unknown fluid in it when I bought it. Lifting the three point in below freezing weather was slow and caused squealing. I swapped the fluid for SUDT2, and it made an immediate difference.
Thats either water in the fluid freezing & blocking things or just oil that is to thick for the tempature range. Either way the squeelng is probably the relief valve popping open due to excessive backpressure.

I'm a believer in SUDT2 though as well. It's all I've used in my machines, especially with the tempature swings here in Colorado (-20 to 100F)

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #6  
how long has SUDT2 been available to the public?

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #7  
I am also a believer in the synthetic and semi synthetic fluids, oil, hydraulic fluid, hytran fluids.
I'm using Cen-Pe-Co multi purpose in my hydraulic / transmission and Rotella T6 in my engine.
My power shuttle works smoother and just feels better and the tractor starts much better in the cold weather.

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #8  
how long has SUDT2 been available to the public?

My guess is three or four years.

SUDT2 makes a huge difference in the bigger Kubotas with the hydraulic shuttle. Difference for me was night and day kind of thing.

/ Synthetic vs. standard HST fluid change results #9  
I switched to SUDT2 also. Made a world of difference in my F2560 Kubota. So I now use it in everything. I tried the box store generic, and ended up changing it at about 10 hours. Sticky and whiny!