Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4110

Default Re: Advice for external power for fueling system

I found a 250 gallon oil tank from a guy in town for free. Immaculate condition. Tonight I just picked up a rebuilt GPI pump (110vac and 30gpm) with a new hose and trigger nozzle. Now I just need to put it all together and get fuel delivered.

I知 quite pleased with the setup. It should make for pretty comfortable refueling at -20.

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

Sounds like the makings of a good setup. However - at those temps I think I'll remain inside and have a cup of hot cocoa. Believe me, retirement is a grand thing.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

"isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtail View Post
    I tried using my tractor's battery as power to the 12V fuel transfer pump (I've got a 50ltr tank, pump & nozzle set up on a wheeled pallet). It worked using alligator clips but really became a bit of a pain in the arse.

I simply bought a small 12V marine type battery & mounted it on the fuel caddy. alligator clips onto the terminals when needed, off when not. Trickle charger every now and then when required.
    Now with picture "goodness":
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice for external power for fueling system-img_0218-jpg   Advice for external power for fueling system-img_0219-jpg   Advice for external power for fueling system-img_0220-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4060 Cab, ZD331, ZD326

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Oidos View Post
    Hello
    I am a new tractor owner [if you look closely at my profile photo, there isn't any dirt on my tires] and I am trying to create a small refueling system for my JD 4052R. I am considering using a 55 gal drum with a 12V transfer pump (like a GPI 8GPM or 12 GPM pump). These pumps draw 11 amps and 18 amps respectively.

I would like to run the pump off my tractors battery. The battery case is a bit difficulty to open and close so I would like to to somehow wire an exterior power plug to the battery or electrical system. The tractor comes with a power port but it is only rated to 10 amps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of set up? Are there better DC electrical connectors to consider than the "cigarette lighter" type?
    Is this a reasonable approach to refueling?

Thanks
    If you are certain about using a 55g drum, then X2 on Anderson power connectors. I use them to power the fill-rite pump on my truck mounted diesel transfer tank.
    I also store gas in a 55g drum with a crank pump for my house backup generator, and it is a royal pain to fill with cans.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Oidos View Post
    Hello
    I am a new tractor owner [if you look closely at my profile photo, there isn't any dirt on my tires] and I am trying to create a small refueling system for my JD 4052R. I am considering using a 55 gal drum with a 12V transfer pump (like a GPI 8GPM or 12 GPM pump). These pumps draw 11 amps and 18 amps respectively.

I would like to run the pump off my tractors battery. The battery case is a bit difficulty to open and close so I would like to to somehow wire an exterior power plug to the battery or electrical system. The tractor comes with a power port but it is only rated to 10 amps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of set up? Are there better DC electrical connectors to consider than the "cigarette lighter" type?
    Is this a reasonable approach to refueling?

Thanks
    The difficulty opening up the hood to refuel made me look at just getting a small automotive battery and permanently attaching it to my Fillrite 15GPM pump. I hooked up a battery maintainer to it to keep it charged.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I use the Anderson plugs to power my fuel pump from the tractor. Works great.

Tractor
    JD 4052R

Thanks to everyone for the terrific advice and information.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst

Quote Originally Posted by RjCorazza View Post
    If you are certain about using a 55g drum, then X2 on Anderson power connectors. I use them to power the fill-rite pump on my truck mounted diesel transfer tank.
    I also store gas in a 55g drum with a crank pump for my house backup generator, and it is a royal pain to fill with cans.
    "Anderson Plugs" is the designator for several higher amperage modular plugs. I use SB175s for jumper cables, winch power & other things. Power Poles is the designator for the ones that support up to 45 amps. They are designed slightly differently but use the same genderless design with the self wiping & cleaning contacts.

Tractor
    MT180D

Here is a neat transfer pump.
    Cheap (like under $15.00) and efficient with a plus that it self drains back to the drum so no smelly spills.

Small Volume Oil Pump Water 12V 24V Diameter 38MM Wateoesel Aluminium Alloy Belt Filter Net Oil Suction-in Pumps from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I have one and was very impressed with performance. You have to supply the output tube and I found that radiator hose works best.
    Poly tubing simply gets too stiff with cold and as well I think fuel reacts to stiffen the poly.
    The flow rate is impressive so keep your hands on the power switch.

Tractor
    2009 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 D

I used a quick disconnect battery jumper kit similar to this one. Deka 2� Ft. Plug Connector Booster Cables by Deka at Mills Fleet Farm

DEWFPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket, Titan HD 48" Pallet Forks

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast