Advice for external power for fueling system

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #1  

Chip Oidos

Tractor
JD 4052R
Hello
I am a new tractor owner [if you look closely at my profile photo, there isn't any dirt on my tires] and I am trying to create a small refueling system for my JD 4052R. I am considering using a 55 gal drum with a 12V transfer pump (like a GPI 8GPM or 12 GPM pump). These pumps draw 11 amps and 18 amps respectively.

I would like to run the pump off my tractors battery. The battery case is a bit difficulty to open and close so I would like to to somehow wire an exterior power plug to the battery or electrical system. The tractor comes with a power port but it is only rated to 10 amps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of set up? Are there better DC electrical connectors to consider than the "cigarette lighter" type?
Is this a reasonable approach to refueling?

Thanks

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #2  
I love Powerpoles. Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx Really popular with HAM radio guys. the connectors are genderless & self cleaning. They aren't weatherproof though & the tools cost a few bucks.

Metripack is the standard GM connector & they are weatherproof. Delphi Metri-Pack Connectors You'd need to get an extra plug to seal things up when disconected. You'll need a crimper as well. Metripack connectors are so common as they have been all GM vehicles in the past good number of years & are avalible in any auto parts shop.

SAE connectors are very common, but not weatherproof.

Alagator clips work too if you can get to the battery easily.

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #3  
I tried using my tractor's battery as power to the 12V fuel transfer pump (I've got a 50ltr tank, pump & nozzle set up on a wheeled pallet). It worked using alligator clips but really became a bit of a pain in the arse.

I simply bought a small 12V marine type battery & mounted it on the fuel caddy. alligator clips onto the terminals when needed, off when not. Trickle charger every now and then when required.

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #4  
wire in a round 4or 6 pin trailer connector run #12 wire, label power only and you are all set

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #5  
As I get older - been out here 35+ years - the idea of diesel fuel transfer from bulk( 55 gal drum ) storage becomes more inviting each year. Then I realize that the current method of storing, in 5 gal Jerry cans, has prevented ANY and ALL water & contamination. So I bite the bullet and hoist another can of fuel.

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #7  
And personally I went from a 55 gallon drum & manual pump to a 300 gallon tank on a stand. That runs on gravity.

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #8  
As I get older - been out here 35+ years - the idea of diesel fuel transfer from bulk( 55 gal drum ) storage becomes more inviting each year. Then I realize that the current method of storing, in 5 gal Jerry cans, has prevented ANY and ALL water & contamination. So I bite the bullet and hoist another can of fuel.

Yeah, but you're not getting any younger mate, and it only takes one awkward 'twist' to bugger your back/spine/hip/etc...

That's why I 'bit the bullet' and set up my transfer tank, which is in my shed. If I'm out during haying season I'll, of course, use a 20ltr can.

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #9  
My vote is a tank in your truck or an overhead for the home. I would hate to deal with unruly 55 gallon tanks.

Another place to get 12v from the tractor is at the starter. I have used that for a power supply to a fuel trailer many times

Brett

/ Advice for external power for fueling system #10  
Oh, Wagtail - I'm over the hill and starting down the other side. Not to worry - since about fifteen years ago - I figured I'd fall about 2X annually and so far I'm just about on track. Worst time of the year - spring time. Baseball sized rock are rolling loose in the frozen ground. Step on one - your ankle twists - down you go. It happens so often - I've mastered the graceful fall and after 35+ years I've never broken anything. Knock on wood..........