Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors?

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I've read it's fine to run detergent oil in old engines, but my older brother tells me I'll mess it up because the engines were made to run on SAE 30. Specifically, I'm talking about a '48, '53 & '56 Farmall Cub, SC &200. Thanks

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #2  
If it has a filter,I think detergent will be fine.

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #3  
I've used 30w detergent oil in my Farmall H for 35 years never has caused any problems, doesn't burn any oil or smoke under load. I'm assuming you're talking about gas engines.

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #4  
I run non-detergent 30w in my 49G Brockway ...... but then again I only start it about once a year.

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #5  
Your problem may come if you switch from non-detergent to detergent.
Although it did not happen to ME I vividly remember a customer at a shop I worked back at in about 1968 that had a "vintage" British sports car (MG I think).
She had her oil changed and they put in detergent, it loosened everything and she needed an engine rebuild.

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #6  
Your problem may come if you switch from non-detergent to detergent.
Although it did not happen to ME I vividly remember a customer at a shop I worked back at in about 1968 that had a "vintage" British sports car (MG I think).
She had her oil changed and they put in detergent, it loosened everything and she needed an engine rebuild.

Ah Ha.....
It was a British built car!
End of story!

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #7  
It must be a slow day. We are back to the posts “ what is the best oil to use”?

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #8  
The Old Model A Ford Engines with unknown oil stick with non-detergent... everyone that runs a filter or does a fresh rebuild uses detergent.

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors? #9  
What newbury said is the same thing I have always heard, though never experienced first hand.

And engine that has ran for 50-60 years with NON-detergent oil has alot of sludge and grime built up inside the engine and clinging to everything.

Its fine if it stays clinging on.

But detergent is designed to eliminate that and break down the sludge.

The problem is that it can all happen too quickly and plug vital passages or overwhelm a filter.

If I were to even entertain the idea of running a detergent oil, I'd do so very slowly. Maybe mix 25% detergent in with non.....let it SLOOOOWWWWLLLLLYYYYY start breaking down the crud but hopefully not more than the filter can handle

/ Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in Old Tractors?
That's what my brother thinks: it'll loosen the crud and ruin the motor.