Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant.

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
Does anyone have a good recipe for a home made drilling/cutting oil mix.
Looking to use something I may have on hand.
90cummins

Last edited:
   / Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #2  
I've got about 20 gallons of heavy weight oil I got at an auction. It seems to work fine.

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #3  
I've used bar and chain oil in a pinch. Works good.

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #4  
I've used hydraulic oil in place of bar and chain oil in a pinch. I'd say bar oil is actually a good substitute for cutting oil.

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #5  
I blend diesel fuel and cheap ATF 40/60 works good

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #6  
I second bar oil , but use atf quite a frequently also.

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #7  
I use waste oil it seems to work good

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #8  
Lube oils provide some cooling but are lubricants nonetheless. ATF has a lower surface tension and isn't a bad compromise. The best overall is rendered pork fat. If you are too young to know this, just add it to your list of "if I've never heard of it ...". :laughing: I won't defend the wisdom of the trade, just share some tried and true lore ...

As an alternative to plumbers' 'black oil' (sulfurated) the most overlooked cutting fluid is water. It's cooling ability may be best demonstrated when drilling bed frame metal or others that work-harden when heated in the cut. I suggest that the ATF and and diesel mix is a workable sub. That it smokes is a sign of its cooling effect. Use sparingly and don't splash it on due to risk of ignition. (I use Cool Tool II & 'black')

The best test is by tapping a few holes, and where you can prove your stuff .. or not.
Try any two prospects on hand and use the better one. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Make chips, Boys!"

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #9  
Bacon fat is my favorite. I collect it in a can or jar after the bacon is fried. When it is full I leave it by the drill press. I slide the jar up around the drill bit and I'm ready to got. It works well and there isn't the oil mess I get with drain oil. It stays hard until I start doing something.
I read about in a collection of blacksmithing tips from the late 1800's.

/ Your favorite home made drilling, thread cutting lubricant. #10  
Bacon fat is my favorite. I collect it in a can or jar after the bacon is fried. When it is full I leave it by the drill press. I slide the jar up around the drill bit and I'm ready to got. It works well and there isn't the oil mess I get with drain oil. It stays hard until I start doing something.
I read about in a collection of blacksmithing tips from the late 1800's.

Bacon:licking: