using heating oil for fuel?

/ using heating oil for fuel? #1  

steve_niceguy

Tractor
Kubota L 3010 L 235 B 1750 Sears DGT 6000 and sears 18HP GT 14HP Economy
hi this is the second time I've posted this? first one got lost I guess
I'm buying a PTO Generator and getting rid of my 6500KW generator. it works well but the PTO Generator will run smoother on my diesel Kubota L 3010
I'm a oil burner tech/plumber and when I went to oil burner school they told us that diesel fuel and home heating oil are basicly the same it's so close that you can use it in deisel engines and never know.. because it's the same thing.... well maybe 99.9 % the same... they do add color so if they pull over a 18 wheeler they can put a stick in the tank and see if the trucker is using TAX FREE home heating oil.
I'm figuring I can run it in my tractor with no problems and everyone in my trade tells me the same thing.
it would be great in an emergency if I need fuel for the tractor pto generator to be able to pump it out of my home heating oil tank.
I'm always the cautous one and want to see if anyone else has done this and had no trouble??
I know they told me in school both are the same.. but I've been told lots of things from EXPERTS only to find they were WRONG

anyone ever use home heating oil in his tractor?

Thanks
Steve
I read all the posts the gas powered portable generators versus the PTO generators... and really feel the PTO is the way to go. the pto is 1200 watts! man that's a lot I could even run my stove on that! plus it would run the whole houe.. my 6500 does the oil fired furnice and a couple lights.. then I when I have the house up to 80 I turn off the furnice and run the oil fired water heater and the well and a light in my bathroom so I can shower. and that's really enough... but with the pto gen. I could just plug it in and forget it.
get the house up to 80 if it snows and then disconect the pto gen and go plow snow or pull the fallen tres off the power lines ( if needed) but it's going to be great not to have to change oil on the coleman gen or start it once a year..... the pto gen I can just slip in the corner of my Garage and forget it. no oil to change and no engine parts to stop working from lack of work.. and with all that oil in my basement I'll be set for months.. if the end of the world hit.

I have a year 2000 L 3010 a 1994 B 1750 and a 1982 L 235

/ using heating oil for fuel? #2  
Just recently there was an article in the news about heating oil and diesel fuel. Heating oil has a higher sulpher content. Yes you can run it in your tractor. My farmer nieghbor has been doing it for many years. In the next year or so the sulphur comtent will be reduced to the same as diesel fuel to cut down on emissions.

/ using heating oil for fuel? #3  
I've pumped the oil out of old home heating oil tanks and used it in various pieces of equipment with no problems. If you have a metal tank, you might want to consider some way of removing water that may condense on the inside. You can buy a Mr. Funnel to remove water as you refuel or add a Racor water separator between your tractor fuel tank and the injection pump.

/ using heating oil for fuel? #4  
Steve,
In the past year or so, there was quite a discussion about the dyed vs. undyed versions of diesel. As I recall, in some regions the dyed had a higher sulphur content, and in other regions the sulphur was equally low in both. I believe newer diesel engines are designed to do well with low sulphur fuel. Don't know if higher sulphur content will be a problem or not.

OkieG

/ using heating oil for fuel? #5  
My tractor service manual forbids this practice.

Though the products are very similar, it was stated that diesel fuel is specified as cleaner than heating oil. Heating oil may contain more impurities which may affect the injectors from functioning properly.

Yooper Dave

/ using heating oil for fuel? #6  
As long as the fuel is rates as Number 2 Diesel, you should have no problems. Higher sulfur content is allowed for off road applications at this time. Your tractor should run fine on any Number 2 Diesel. John

/ using heating oil for fuel? #7  
I believe off road/dyed diesel is exactly the same as #2 heating oil. Not 99.9%, exactly the same, except for the red dye. They both have much higher (that is, are allowed to have much higher) sulfur, 3000 PPM instead of 500. The tank where I buy the off road diesel for my BX has both labels on the same pump "#2 heating oil/dyed diesel". It's nice paying only $1.43/gallon. From what I've heard, diesel engines like the extra sulfur, but the enviroment doesn't.

- Patrick

- Patrick

/ using heating oil for fuel? #8  
Steve, I have a 300 gallon in ground fuel tank (for heating)and just had a delivery 3 weeks ago and when the man arrived I pull my fuel cans out and my tractors and had him fill everything up $1.35 a gallon is a lot better than $1.70 or so at the pump, plus I don't have to go get it! When my fuel cans run low I'll just use my had crank pump in the ground fuel tank and filler up from there.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Works for me

/ using heating oil for fuel? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm a oil burner tech/plumber and when I went to oil burner school they told us that diesel fuel and home heating oil are basicly the same it's so close that you can use it in deisel engines and never know..)</font>

It likely depends on your geographic location and the particular dealer
from which you will be purchasing the fuel. I would be at least cautious
about heating oil distribution requiring less cleanliness than diesel.
As one familiar with oil burners you've surely seen the condition of the
filter and nozzle during annual maintenance -- both of which are trash can
items. As a minimum I would prefilter heating oil before it reaches the
tractor as well as use a fuel conditioner able to incorporate any free
water contamination.

/ using heating oil for fuel? #10  
You can go to BPAMOCO or CHEVRON and read the fuel specs for heating oil and diesel. When I worked for an Amoco distributor the diesel was a premium product in a seperate tank and most everything else came out of the #2 tanks.